Running Defold in other apps?

hi all
we are building a educational app, which needs some mini games and animations. we need to run this games inside our app, is it possible to build games with Defold and run them in our app,
we need to run our app on both android and iOS
any idea for running Defold in flutter, react native, or other cross platform engines.
I know corona cards for corona/solar2d can do this, but I need to know is it possible with Defold or not?
thanks

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has attempted this before. My first suggestion would be to try running a Defold HTML5 build in a webview in your app.

1 Like

What does that mean specifically? How is it done for other game engines?

I don’t know about Solar2D, but Unity 2019.3 added a facility to use Unity as library in native apps (fullscreen only) : https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityasaLibrary.html

1 Like

Ah, well I don’t think we’ll support that out-of-the-box. If you really need it, It’s possible as the source is available online.

However, I would go for the suggestion by @britzl to use a HTML5 build instead. You can use a web view in your app to show the game.

1 Like

we are nervous about speed and flick issues in web view.

we are nervous about speed

Our HTML5 performance is very good.
It should be easy enough for you to test.

and flick issues

I’m not sure what this is?

My apologies for reviving an old thread but I’m building a similar mobile app that will include multiple mini games, and thought this would be a better place to ask my question rather start a new thread

Couldn’t both the non-game elements of the app as well as the mini games be created using Defold?

For instance, say some of the non gaming elements of the app is presenting a set of written instructions on how to make something (so a collection of paragraphs of text and images). Could Defold be used to create those non-game aspects of the app?

You can do that, but I’m not sure why you would use Defold just for instructions if you’re already using a different UI library for the container app.

You could also make the entire container app using Defold, but if you want to embed other Defold games in the app you would still need a webview like britzl mentioned. Unless the minigames are compiled with the container app, then you could load games using collection proxies.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for being unclear.

I’m wondering if Defold is a good option to build the entire app, where the primary aspects of the app are non-gaming elements. So basically, it’s primary a business app that has some mini-games.

Or would you recommend using a container app built natively with Defold HTML5 build for the games in a webview ?

I think it is possible to add a bunch of normal Android activities and fragments and wire it all through a native extension. It would be a fun exploration project.

BUT you mentioned “mobile app” and not “Android app” which means that you plan to build both an iOS and an Android version of the app and integrate Defold in both?

To be honest I really think you should try running the mini games from a webview in both iOS and Android. The performance will likely be good enough.

Yes, both ios and android is the plan

Ok, thanks. I’ll look to run the mini games from a webview.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions

1 Like