Right Click not working in Defold Editor

Not much has changed in the editor. We made a small fix for dark mode though… What does the editor log say? Help - show logs

1 Like

Unfortunately, the logs don’t say much:

2020-05-24 11:30:28.240 6252 [Timer-1] INFO  editor.updater - {:line 283, :message "Checking for updates", :url "https://d.defold.com/editor2/channels/editor-alpha/update-v3.json"}
2020-05-24 11:30:28.497 6509 [Timer-1] INFO  editor.updater - {:line 290, :message "No update found"}
2020-05-24 11:30:33.587 11599 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG org.eclipse.jgit.util.FS - readpipe [git, --version],/usr/bin
2020-05-24 11:30:33.620 11632 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG org.eclipse.jgit.util.FS - readpipe may return 'git version 2.20.1 (Apple Git-117)'
2020-05-24 11:30:33.621 11633 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG org.eclipse.jgit.util.FS - remaining output:

2020-05-24 11:30:33.622 11634 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG org.eclipse.jgit.util.FS - readpipe [git, config, --system, --edit],/usr/bin
2020-05-24 11:30:33.640 11652 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG org.eclipse.jgit.util.FS - readpipe may return '/private/etc/gitconfig'
2020-05-24 11:30:33.641 11653 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG org.eclipse.jgit.util.FS - remaining output:

2020-05-24 11:30:33.729 11741 [clojure-agent-send-off-pool-0] INFO  editor.boot-open-project - {:line 394, :message "project loaded"}
2020-05-24 11:31:28.502 66514 [Timer-1] INFO  editor.updater - {:line 283, :message "Checking for updates", :url "https://d.defold.com/editor2/channels/editor-alpha/update-v3.json"}
2020-05-24 11:31:28.783 66795 [Timer-1] INFO  editor.updater - {:line 290, :message "No update found"}

I’m unable to reproduce the problem as well. @jsguru right click doesn’t work in the Assets panel and not in the Outline?

Hi @britzl, right click does not work on any panel. Are you also running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6?

Strange, it stop working for me either. Also there is a strange black bar on top.
I’m going to delete everything related to defold and try again. Log is attached but everything seems ok to me… It started to happens after latest update.

editor2.2020-05-25.log.zip (4.6 KB)

We are reverting the dark mode support as that seems to break something in JavaFX. Sorry about this.

2 Likes

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=540357 might be related?
Apparently known that forcing it can cause issues.

For those who are not having issues with it but still want dark theme you might be able to edit the config file and set this as one of the vmargs?

-NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance False

There should be a new version available now with the Info.plist key removed.

1 Like

Fixed. Thank you

3 Likes

I updated to the latest version from the blue link in the editor and can confirm that right-click is now working.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

2 Likes

What I have:

• macOS 10.14.6 Mojave

What I’ve done:

• Deleted Applications/Defold.app
  • Deleted ~Library/Application Support/Defold
  • Deleted ~Library/Saved Application State/Defold
  • Restarted the system
  • Downloaded the Defold from the downloads page.
  • Launched and checked the version:

And… the right mouse button doesn’t work. Then:

• Tried to switch the system to Dark Mode.
  • Tried to switch the system to Light Mode.
  • Tried to add<key>NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance</key><true/> to Defold.app/Content/Info.plist
  • Tried to add<key>NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance</key><false/> to Defold.app/Content/Info.plist
  • Tried to download 1.2.168 and 1.2.170 from here.

… and nothing helps me. What am I doing wrong, may be I missed something?

editor2.2020-06-22.log.zip (6.1 KB)

Downloaded and Installed Defold to another macbook with macOS 10.14.6 Mojave. Right clicks works perfectly. Damn, now I don’t know what to do.

1 Like

Maybe update macOS to actual on your MacBook?
I think we can’t do anything if it’s macOS version related bug.

Installed the same version of Defold Editor to another mac with the same macOS version 10.14.6 and everything works fine. Doesn’t look like a bug of Mojave or Defold. I don’t have any ideas at the moment.

Do you have anything other installed on the computer, related to input, event/window management, hot keys, etc. ?

Yes, two things:

• VOX Player captures media buttons (play, etc.)
  • Keyboard shortcut Cmd+Alt+Ctrl+D as service in system keyboard shortcuts to run the Automator script that switches the Dark Mode. It looks like:
tell application "System Events"
    tell appearance preferences
        set dark mode to not dark mode
    end tell
end tell

I tried to uninstall VOX Player preferences pane and remove the automator script from system workflows and shortcuts. Also I tried to turn off wireless magic trackpad and keyboard to use only the builded-in trackpad. But nothing.

Update: I Installed VOX Player preferences pane and my automator script to the mac where right clicks works. Everything works the same, it seems okay with my dark mode shortcut and VOX.

Wow, I found the clue.

As I understand, the macOS dark mode support has been disabled to solve the bug with right clicks. But in my case, for unknown reason, it still switches color of the top bar:

49 54.

I checked it on the second macbook where right clicks works and color of the top bar doesn’t switch to dark mode there. It’s light in any macOS mode.

What could it be? Any cached value of the NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance key in the system settings?

For unknown reason in my case the Defold ignores both Defold.app/Content/Info.plist and NSUserDefaults values for the com.defold.editor identifier. But on the mac where everything works fine the Defold really reads both them.

So I tried to figure out where is my Defold stores NSUserDefaults values.

• Created the folder supermegafolder
  • Opened it in the project opening dialog
  • Ran in the terminal defaults read to find where the Defold saved the supermegafolder as the value for the NSNavLastRootDirectory key.
  • Found it and see that the bundle identifier is net.java.openjdk.cmd :face_with_monocle:

After that I run this workaround in the terminal:

defaults write net.java.openjdk.cmd NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool YES

And now the top bar doesn’t switch to the Dark Mode and right clicks work fine.

2 Likes

That is one strange issue… but I’m glad you found it!
Good catch!

We added it for a few days, got reports that it didn’t work and then reverted back to the old non-dark mode supported editor.