Request for better learning tutorials

The current getting started tutorial does NOT hit the spot.
We need to know how to do the basics on the platform not to understand some guys sideways scroller. Anyone for more merlot?

Anyway now that I have got your attention this is what is required in a tutorial:

1. The basic dev environment (1st episode of sideways).
    2 Explain whether this platform is either procedural or event programmed.
    How to initialize the app, what are the code entry point(s), main event loops, the disposal/termination mechanisms.
  2. Then provide an example of a simple game consisting of single sprite that one can move (left, right, up, down) via touch. Must cover how to add scripts.
  3. Then how to move the sprite around the screen programmatically.
    eg x, y to x2, y2, etc.
  4. Next show how to display text or a score board on the screen.
    6 Then show how to play sounds and background music.
  5. Finally show how an event either human (touch) or progammatic can trigger/message to another object such as a score board, or popup text, etc.

Later tutorials can worry about data storage, menus, animation, etc.

regards,
Duncan

1 Like

I agree that the Getting Started Tutorial is not perfect. We’re actually in the process of creating an alternative “getting started tutorial” for newcomers, but I’m not sure when it is planned to be done. It will be both video tutorials and written tutorials. @Oleg_The_Evangelist knows more about the timeframe for this.

Now, a lot of the things you are asking for is in my opinion well described in our manuals. The introduction, scene-editing, workflow, building blocks and application lifecycle manuals are pretty extensive. But maybe they aren’t very approachable?

1 Like

Thanks Britzl, your response looks helpful.
I will read thru those links when I get back from the pub.
At this stage I just can’t understand how things hang together.
I can see you have all the elements of a game engine but its difficult to see
how to make this into a tangible game.
Note, I am coming at this from a procedural java libgdx perspective.
Anyway later…
Duncan

1 Like

As I understand, the current getting started works quite well for some users but clearly not for all.

I think the best approach is to provide a few alternative entry points and be clear about what each path will be about. Like:

• This tutorial is for users with no prior programming experience.

• This tutorial assumes that you know some programming but does not dig deep into the innards
    of Defold.

• This tutorial explains how things work under the hood.

And each one with pointers at the end where to go next.

2 Likes

I have never seen a programme for game design that didn’t have many complaints about the tutorials. In general I think people expect making games to be a lot easier than it is. I am actually thinking about making some YouTube tutorials myself with what I’ve learned in the last month or two (in real life I am a teacher so in theory I should be good at that).

5 Likes

There are a few tutorials and videos done by the community. For instance the streams by ex. King employee @AJirenius: https://www.livecoding.tv/setthebet/ Another collection of videos are the ones from Games from Scratch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V-Ijy0wUec

I am actually thinking about making some YouTube tutorials myself with what I’ve learned in the last month or two

That’s cool, man; if you do – please let us know! We’d be more than happy to feature and highlight great tutorials made by the community.

3 Likes