Publish on Mac OSX AppStore

Hi there,

I just finished a game and I want to publish it on the AppStore for Mac OSX, but the Transporter App doesn’t allow me to upload my game to iTunes Connect.

Doe anyone knows how to do it?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Can you describe what goes wrong?
Do you get a message?

1 Like

Hi @Mathias thanks for replying.

I got the following message form the transporter.

Am I missing a specific configuration on my game project?

Thanks

1 Like

Additional information and a successful bundle for the macOS AppStore:

I’ll try to get these instructions into a manual soon.

4 Likes

Thanks @britzl I’ll give it a go from the info in the post you mention.

Please test them too, please see if you can get a macOS build uploaded and approved by Apple to the Mac App Store.

I get rid of the ERROR ITMS-90242 by adding the following key to my game project Info.plist

<key>LSApplicationCategoryType</key>
 <sting>public.app-category.education</string>

In my case my game category is education.

However, regarding the ERROR ITMS-90296 I still cannot grasp how to add the entitlement.plist with the required key. Can anyone help me with this part? I’m a linguist and I’m not that familiar with the Terminal.

Edutcation -> education

Sorry about the typo. I just corrected.

Thanks @britzl

Publishing to Mac AppStore achieved! @britzl @Pkeod

Here are all the steps I used for everybody’s convenience:

I added the key:

<key>LSApplicationCategoryType</key> 
<sting>public.app-category.education</string>

to my game project Info.plist in Defold. My game’s category is education in the case.

Then I created an entitlements.plist file with the following key (more keys may be needed depending on your game):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Then I added the entitlements.plist to my game bundle (my_game.app produced by Defold) using the following command in the terminal:

codesign --entitlements /path/to/entitlements.plist -s '3rd Party Mac Developer Application: My Name' /path/to/my_game.app

You need a Mac Developer Application certificate in order to use the last command.

You can verify that your game got the entitlements using the following command in the terminal:

codesign -d --entitlements :- path/to/my_game.app

Lastly, I turned my_game.app into my_game.pkg using the Product Builder app from de Mac Appstore. In order to do it, I had to get a Mac Installer Distribution certificate in Apple’s developer portal. This was the less tech savvy way I found to convert my game into a .pkg but if anyone can teach how to do it from the terminal it would be great.

Finally I send my_game.pkg to Itunes Connect using the Apple’s Transporter app.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Nice! Did you test the final app on a guest account? Unfortunately you still need to pass review and it’s possible there is a sandbox violation…

1 Like

Did Apple end up approving this submission?

1 Like

I had problems with the review as you predicted. I focused then primarily in getting my game published in iOS and Android, but I’ll continue working on the Mac OS version. I’ll let you know as soon as I get it published on the Mac Appstore.

In the mean time I leave here the trailer of my game and the link to both stores.

Verb Challenge Spanish trailer
AppStore
Google Play

By the way do you know who I have to contact to add my game to Defold showcase?

Cheers!

1 Like

That would be me!

We have plans to allow for submissions just like with the asset portal, but for now it’s a manual process.

We need the following:

Name
Description
Developer
Publisher
Platforms
Link
Hero image in 4:1 aspect ratio
Normal image in 2:1 aspect ratio

Send me an email (bjorn@defold.com) and we’ll take it from there!