Proposals for Sound component features and improvements

I made a Feature Request for a quick “pre-hear” for Sound components, when an audio file is added to the Sound component, which might make it easier to identify the sound on the go, something like a preview option is available for e.g. ParticleFX components (with Space key). Current workaround is of course to open it in external player, we can do it by double clicking on sound file (not sound component).

It’s a Quality of Life type of improvement, so I don’t think it’s a high-prio, but a nice-to-have feature :wink:

While writing it I also imagined that maybe there is a possibility to built into the Editor for Sound components (which is now just a duplication of the Properties pane) a very barebone and simple player with a timeline to check the sound and perhaps, in the future, quickly trim it - maybe not changing the file, but changing from where the sound from given Sound component starts or stops playing in game, like a kind of a cursor animation feature?

Sometimes some fade-in, fade-out are useful also.

Below is a mash-up, but e.g. Cut From, Cut To could be numeric properties, Fade In, Fade Out - boolean, the preview is optional, because it’s something more complex, but would be great.

I don’t know how you look at something like this from gamedev perspective - because everything for a game release should be prepared upfront, right? But as Defold is a plug-and-play solution it’s worth considering if it is matching this philosophy. You can relate it to other assets editing, because most of them are edited in external tools, but e.g. Tilesources have some Editor features that allows to create them in Editor.

I started this thread only to get your impressions on the sound component nowadays and if you have any further ideas or something to discuss it :wink:

7 Likes

I definitely think there is value in being able to preview/listen to a sound in the editor. I’m however not so sure about trimming, fading etc. I think those kind of operations are better done in an external tool.

4 Likes

I agree that it’s probably better to edit sounds using an external tool. Audacity is free, cross-platform, and pretty simple to use in my experience. I think the time invested into sound-editing features in Defold would be better spent elsewhere.

But I do think that a playback feature for sounds would be somewhat valuable.

7 Likes