Problem using Defold editor with Windows since yesterday (SOLVED)

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to go through the tutorial but having problems opening my project. I click open project and I get a pop up to connect to my account. I click Google sign-in but then I get a message that “Your browser is not supported anymore. Please update to a more recent one.” It lists Chrome as one of the possible browsers which I’m already using. I double checked my version and I have the most recent update. I tried clearing out cookies as well as restarting both Defold and Chrome but no luck. Any other ideas of what I could try?

Thanks

Hi @jmricker!
What exact browser version do you use? And what platform are you running?

I am using Chrome 52.0.2743.82 which it says is the most current version and I’m using a Windows 10 platform.

This is a problem which is suddenly happening for everyone! I’m also on Windows 10, using Edge as my default browser.

I started having this issue this afternoon, can confirm that sign in was working this morning and now the sign in window says “Your browser is not supported anymore. Please update to a more recent one.”

I’ve tried setting my default browser to Edge, restarting Defold / my computer, and using different computers. I’ve tried on both Windows 10 and OS X. It is still working fine on OS X.

The Windows 10 “Anniversary Update” was just deployed today - since the problem seems to be a Windows one and not an Edge / Chrome one, my guess is it has something to do with that. I’m installing the update; I’ll follow up once I have that downloaded and installed.

There are around 350 million Windows 10 machines, and it’s a fairly reasonable guess to say at least one percent of them are trying to download the update right now. Peer-to-peer updates should help a little, but I’ve been waiting for a few minutes and am still at 0%.

Uh oh, this isn’t good- after the hour or two to install the ‘anniversary update’ the problem still persists. Given that none of the Chrome window styling shows up when I change default browsers and try to log in again, maybe Windows uses Edge for the login dialog regardless of settings?

Hey, I have the exact same problem except I am on Windows 7. I don’t have microsoft edge, so I’m not sure what the problem is.

1 Like

Confirmed for me too.
Yes, something must have changed during the day, since I also tested Win10 yesterday afternoon, and now I cannot login either. I’m wondering if it’s what browser our editor uses (which should be one that is installed on the system)

We’re looking into this…

Hello!

We have a temporary solution for the problem. It’ll require a small change of the configuration which will have to be reverted once we have a more permanent solution, but it’ll allow most of you to use the editor while we continue to work on the problem. Below follows step by step instructions on how to change the configuration. Please note that this solution has been tested and verified to work on one of our developer machines, we’re posting it to get a fix out as soon as possible. It is possible that you’ll run into problems, if that is the case please use this thread to report problems and solutions so we can all help each other resolving this issue.

1. Shut down the editor

2. Download XulRunner 1.9 from Mozilla (direct link here).

3. Unzip the file xulrunner-1.9.0.17.en-US.win32.zip into the Defold editor directory.
    You should now have a directory xulrunner within the Defold editor directory.

4. Make a copy of the file Defold.ini and name it Defold.ini.bak.

5. Open Defold.ini in a text editor that supports unix formatted newlines (notepad++, sublime text or a similar editor. notepad will not work).

6. Check the absolute path where the Defold editor is located.
    It is important that this path doesn’t contain any spaces.

7. Add the line -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=mozilla to the configuration.

8. Add the line -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=<editor-absolute-path> to the configuration.
    Replace <editor-absolute-path> with the actual absolute path that you checked during step 5.

9. Start the editor and select File > Open Project, it should now be possible to login again.

Here’s a complete example of my Defold.ini for reference.

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
–launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.200.v20120913-144807
-vm
jre\bin
-vmargs
-Declipse.p2.unsignedPolicy=allow
-Dsun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout=30000
-XX:MaxPermSize=128M
-Xmx1200M
-Djogl.texture.notexrect=true
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=mozilla
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=E:\Defold-win32.win32.x86\xulrunner

Regards,
The Defold team through Jakob

12 Likes

While we’re still investigating a more proper fix, here’s a slightly shorter and less intrusive workaround, that worked for me on my Win10 installation (but didn’t work on a Win8 machine)

• Make a backup of your .ini file (e.g. Defold.ini.bak)
  • Add a line to your .ini file
    • -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.IEVersion=11001
  • Start the editor

A list of version numbers is found here.

2 Likes

Hello!

We have now resolved the issue and deployed a patch to our servers. The fix is entirely server-side so there is no new version of the client that has to be downloaded. If you should encounter any problems logging into the dashboard or the client, please let us know as soon as possible so we can help you resolve the issue.

For those of you who followed the instructions above, the fix that has been applied will work even with those changes. We do however recommend that you revert the changes by following the steps below.

1. Login to the editor and synchronise each project that you have been working on during this time.

2. Close the editor.

3. Overwrite the modified Defold.ini in the Defold editor directory with the Defold.ini.bak you created.
    If you did not create a backup of the original configuration you will have to manually remove the lines you’ve changed and/or added.

4. Start the editor and select File > Open Project, it should now be possible to login again.

Here’s a complete example of how the Defold.ini should look like once it has been restored.

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
–launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.200.v20120913-144807
-vm
jre\bin
-vmargs
-Declipse.p2.unsignedPolicy=allow
-Dsun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout=30000
-XX:MaxPermSize=128M
-Xmx1200M
-Djogl.texture.notexrect=true
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Regards,
The Defold team through Jakob

6 Likes

defold stuck on splash screen in window 7 but didnot load editor. from a month , please help me

Please don’t post about the same problem in multiple threads. We’re trying to help you in this thread:

1 Like