Polygonal sprite meshes

Defold should support polygonal meshes for sprites instead of simple quads. Maybe that’s already the case behind the scenes but I couldn’t find info anywhere.

It’s frankly extremely surprising that this feature is missing considering Defold’s focus on performance. Quad meshes cause a lot of overdraw.

4 Likes

No, it’s not supported yet. It’s definitely on our radar, but the actual need has frankly been quite low, since the games we’ve seen so far hasn’t pushed the graphics very much in terms of overdraw.

2 Likes

I’m making a RTS game with 1000+ sprites with 80%+ overdraw (because of shadows) and I’m seeing a HUGE difference in performance between Defold and Cocos2d.

I understand that Defold was not designed for that type of game though, but it sure would be nice to have polygonal sprites because I much prefer the Defold environment.

4 Likes

Sounds nice! Looking forward to seeing some pics!

Having an actual case definitely helps prioritising these things, so it’s good you bring it up!

8 Likes

If you are using lots of sprites with a similar shape you can make your own mesh to fit and use that. (may not be useful in your case I know)

3 Likes

I need to bump this because that’s still the only thing preventing us to switch to Defold. We’re in production now but we would really like to switch for our next game.

3 Likes

I’m afraid this is something that we still haven’t planned to implement soon. I’d like to know more about the benchmarks you’ve made and the game you’re creating. Do you really have 1000+ sprites on screen at the same time? What’s your target platform(s)?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s a big performance bottleneck for now , but we have some massive overdraw in Interrogation for some characters (they show up full height on the screen):

5 Likes