Overriding component properties of a game object prototype

Changing the component properties of a game object prototype has an effect on the prototype when added statically from the editor to the scene (collection). The only exception to this is the properties of the script components, which can be overridden for each instance added.

For example:
I want to give different names to the Group property of collision objects named collision_shape_1 (framed in red in the image). Both are based on the same game object prototype. However, if I change the Group property of one collision_shape_1, the Group property of the other collision_shape_1 and the Group property of the prototype also change. The same works well for the script component, as indicated by the editor highlighted in blue.

What is a good solution for this? I know the Group property can be set dynamically by calling physics.set_group, but I still need to statically enter the two different group names in the editor to avoid errors.

I may want to override the properties of other components as well, but the same problem. Why can only script properties be overridden in each instance? Is it worth submitting a feature request for this problem?

2 Likes

We already have a feature request here:

5 Likes

Oh thank you! I was looking for such a feature request, but for some reason I couldn’t find it.
+1 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 to a feature request.

Override text of label or animation of sprite components, if used as prefab on scene is really needed for a level design.

6 Likes

+1000 :smiley:

3 Likes

+1 on this as well :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like