OpenGL Profiler on Mac

Is still possible to use OpenGL Profiler on Mac with 1.2.164?

It seems to me that anytime I attach the profiler to the application the game is stuck! And I have to force an exit, detaching does nothing… Without the profiler the game runs fine.

Am I doing something wrong? or something has changed?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Which profiler? Xcode? Are you profiling A mobile or desktop application?

1 Like

The name is “OpenGL Profiler” by Apple, I think it is an instrument of Xcode (but I don’t use Xcode). I am trying to profile an application on my Mac (desktop) launched via the editor. I have done this many many times in the past; at this point, it is more than an year… :slight_smile: [The mac is running Catalina.]

0 Likes

Apple has deprecated OpenGL profiling for desktop OSX applications In Xcode, it only works on mobile apps unfortunately. I think https://apitrace.github.io/ should work, but isn’t as useful as Xcode.

0 Likes

But deprecated means one cannot use it? I am quite sure I have already used OpenGL profile with Defold and Catalina, am I wrong?

Anyway, this is really annoying…

0 Likes

We haven’t changed anything for OSX in this regard. If you wish, you can download an older version of the engine to see if you can profile that?

1 Like

Hi there, thank you so much for your incredible help! as usual!

There is still something I don’t understand, sorry.

I have a build for Mac made the 20-th of april 2019. It can be perfectly profiled with OpenGL profiler and Catalina. When I built it I had Mojave and not Catalina, I don’t remember the version of Defold…

So I made a new build and it cannot be profiled anymore: the executable works fine for a while but then it is stuck completely, there is no way to exit it and I have to kill the process.

Is this due to OpenGL being deprecated?

Thank you!

0 Likes