Old Film Filter

Hey Guys and Gals,

I’m making a game that could really benefit from having an old film filter. You know the random lines and dirt spots etc.

Before I even started to do it, I just wanted to see if anyone else here had tried such a thing or had any just general ideas on how they might approach it.

Thanks in advance,
Johnny

P.S. I’ll share the script that does it when I’m done :slight_smile:

1 Like

You should be able to find a shader that you can adapt to your needs. Maybe something like: http://www.nutty.ca/?page_id=352&link=old_film

1 Like

Also, a great source of inspiration for ideas, as always, is Shadertoy.com:
VCR, CRT, Film grain
You should be able to modify them to suit your needs.

(Image credit: ryk )

4 Likes

This brings me to mind Bad Trip, a Defold runner made quite a while ago in a Game Dev School class.

1 Like

Thanks guys… I appreciate all the help :slight_smile:

I’m considering writing a short tutorial on using render_targets for post-processing, but it wont be ready in the nearest future, so tell me if you need any hints on how to apply your post-process shaders to the game. There are some basics posted in this thread, they might help you for the start.
But for the shaders itself - yeah, its mostly shadertoy, google-fu and knowledge of basic math. Old film is basically sepia (easy). vignette (easy, harder if you want image distortion), grain (easy), and moving lines (probably kinda hard to make them look good). All of this you can google as a separate shader and then combine them in one (this will reduce a bit of drawcalls, which is good).
P.S. Hey, Defold team, how about adding a feature where you can dynamically add/remove postprocess shaders without adding a quad on the scene and a bunch of code into renderscript?

5 Likes

Hi. Is you short tutorial about post-processing on the way? Thx.

Yes, @sicher has it on his todo list.

1 Like