Not pause engine while game is minimized?

Is there anything I can do to force the engine to continue to simulate while the window is not focused / minimized? This really hurts multiplayer games.

3 Likes

No, I don’t think so. Not at the moment. @Andreas_Tadic, any ideas?

2 Likes

Created ticket DEF-3409 - Engine pause update schema
We should be looking into detail on how this should be handled.

4 Likes

I did a test and it looks like headless builds on Windows still run when minimized.

3 Likes

It would also be good to be able to keep the updates going while the window is being resized even if the screen is not drawn. Also for the sake of multiplayer games.

3 Likes

Currently, perhaps you could handle the window minimized/focus lost events, and then put the update time on the main collection to 0?

1 Like

One issue I can think of, at least with Windows builds I’v tested:
the engine doesn’t report lost focus or window minimized, when the minimized button is pressed. Assuming because the engine pauses before sending it.

It does report the window lost focus and window minimized events, but not until after it is maximized.(when the engine un-pauses?) It also receives the window gained focus and maximized at the same time… hmph

I do like the idea here - Having the option to allow continuous update while minimized. Yes please. :slight_smile: That would work nicely.

2 Likes

Reported as DEF-3044

1 Like

We have DEF-2520 as a ticket for these focus lost/gained issues.

1 Like

This is still an issue with multiplayer games. Simulation needs to be able to be set to continue without pause when game window is minimized / resized / moved.

1 Like