Non game development

Good day guys I am trying to find out if Defold is good for making non game apps like an E-Commerce app for example. I cant find any info on this in the forums or on the web. Thanks

1 Like

Defold is primarily a game engine with a feature set suitable for creating games. It does have a basic GUI system with more advanced extensions for GUI and screen management, but it is likely not going to be enough for an enterprise app which I assume is very UI heavy?

2 Likes

Thank you, I really like the Lua Language and Defold for making games but guess I will have to try another program for what I need to do.

1 Like

It’s possible, but native UI is always preferable. With some mad skills you can use native UI with Defold, but it’s way too hard.

2 Likes

Yh I figured it would be a lot harder to do it in Defold, possible but way too time consuming

1 Like

To preach to the choir. I have made a small app for a Homebrew system that adds Pokémon to Dungeons and Dragons (called Pokemon5E). The app is only GUI you can see “a preview” of it here https://jerakin.itch.io/pokedex5e

The thing it lacks is “polish”. There is a lot of work to get things that would have been simple to add in flutter to work in Defold. I have to say if I were to do a similar app I would most likely not pick Defold (even though i love the engine).

4 Likes

Not to hijack or anything but the pokedex doesn’t run on my desktop, tested in chrome and safari. A bunch of suspicious errors in the console :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it is super outdated (people use the iOS and Android versions so I don’t pay attention to the HTML5 one). I found it super annoying to dev for html5 as even if Build HTML works fine the Bundle -> HTML5 might not work and you get no information on what’s wrong. So I kind of just stopped updating the HTML5 version.

0 Likes