Here’s a tiny update on what’s currently going on with the Linux support for Native Extensions.
In an effort to make our build process easier to maintain, we’re currently updating out build servers to use the same Docker container as the extension server. This is an Ubuntu 16.04 version, and for that to work, we also needed to rebuild and/or update many of the libraries. E.g. updating to LuaJIT-2.0.5 to add support for OSX 64 bit and Windows is a good example.
At some point, we all thought that the Linux platform would be the easiest, but now it has proven to take as long as the android support. doh
We’ve made the decision to cut support for 32 bit OSX builds, since the all our supported macOS versions are already 64 bit, and macOS is moving towards 64-bit-only support in the app store.
Along those lines, we’ve decided to stop supporting 32 bit linux builds too, since the apparent user base is really really low. The Editor2 for instance is already only shipping on Linux 64.
There are still a few loose ends to finish up, but my current estimate is that Linux support for native extensions is 1 or 2 sprints away.