Teaser Fridays and Roadmap talks

I extremely like this list!
Would be great if this list contain something about sound system improvements - I am sure that many users dream about it.

3 Likes

This list is cool!
Also I would be happy to build projects with native extensions locally without build server!

2 Likes

This should be a community effort. A Steam integration makes sense to do in collaboration with a team that is releasing on Steam. I’d be happy to help, but since a Steam integration is quite a bit of work I don’t want to do it unless there’s actually someone planning to use it.

3 Likes

Fully agreed) My puzzle appear at steam in next year so later i start to work with Steam integration and all around problems) Thx.

Another one from slack chat: make build status window more informant - for example display build stage (NE, texture packing, js compile etc), make button for instantly stop building bundle process (not easy issue? right?), etc. Also good to do local build without run (sorry i am on Editor1 maybe such option present in Editor2)

Feature request: why each new created collection has Name property set to “default”? This only disturb novice user when he working with routing … and users later rename it. Maybe better to set Name as a name collection object? Of course you need support this property when do collection “rename refactoring”. Sorry if I missed something …

3 Likes

Interesting choice for the physics!

Even though it makes sense to make the engine more modular or even to replace the physics system completely, I always though about its tight integration more like a plus.
There’s so much workflow gain and easy of use into having it integrated that for me it beats the benefits of having it separate (think about creating collision shapes or setting limits, etc)

Can you elaborate a bit more?

2 Likes

Regarding the physics… :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah. More teasers. We had an all-team workshop today on the product development. And while there’s much more to it, and we’ll work more on it all, here’s something for the roadmap-teasers thread:

• Editor extensions and better Editor UX - something everybody thinks should be prioritised
  • Better Asset Portal integration with Editor/workflow would be cool
  • New project wizard that spawns a project pre-setup for certain use-cases
  • 3D support is a critical feature for Defold

There’s probably more to tease about =]

6 Likes

I hope the Editor 2 text editor will get some love at some point. I’ve been using Atom instead, which is great, but the built-in editor has some things that it can’t match: hot reload, autocomplete for library modules, no need to switch applications. Unfortunately, even without any addons, Atom is waaay nicer to use, and since I spend 90% of my time editing text, the built-in editor just isn’t worth using.

7 Likes

You can start holding your breath soon…

6 Likes

Here’s small friday teaser:

12 Likes

here’s something from the team offsite:

I’d inspire those responsible for the given teasers come in and maybe talk a bit more here =]

6 Likes

The list looks really good. Regarding point 3, what I’d personally love to see is tracks support for Spine. We’ll soon be implementing a cutscene system with Spine and having tracks would be amazing. (Not to say it can’t be worked around, but it would be easier for the animator to not have to split his layers)

1 Like

Reviving this old thread again!

Not really a teaser since it’s already released; showing particlefx stretch property on a simple fireworks effect.

Have great weekend!

17 Likes

It’s Fridaaaaay…any more teasers around the corner?

3 Likes

Pending release is our new resource profiler view in the Web profiler.
It allows you to capture what resources are loaded into memory and a view of the currently loaded collections. Next in line functionality wise is sorting, searching, x-referencing (by selecting items), detail views with sub-resources and more…

15 Likes

Very valuable and handy! Thank you

6 Likes

My dreams come true. :star_struck:

9 Likes

@AGulev Man… that’s sad. :smiley:

7 Likes

I need new one Defold-dream. For example Editor’s plugins =)

9 Likes

Long time, no teasers! I’ve published some early screens of this previously, but we’ve come quite a long way in the improvement of the Defold welcome screen. It will replace this screen, and provide a better entry point for project handling in Defold.

Most notably, users will be able to create new projects from the editor, without cumbersome workarounds. Together with this, we’re working on a set of new project templates, the point of which is to speed up your workflow depending on the type of game you want to make—as well as samples, which can be used as a good starting point for different types of game mechanics and other useful features.

We’ll roll out the first features of this shortly, with more to come in the future.

Note: The above images are from my Sketch file, and copy/content will most def vary in the live editor. Happy Friday!

18 Likes