Multiple monitor editor support?

I was wondering if there are any plans for multiple monitor support in the editor? Some way to have code side by side would be a huge boon to productivity.

1 Like

Defold team has said they are waiting on more funding to work on the editor more extensively and currently are focusing mostly on engine features for now. Multiple window/monitor support is possible with JavaFX but getting it to work with the existing Editor project may not be trivial.

I believe the existing popup dialogs are already using the same kind of features you would need to allow for example the ability for a code view to pop out and into its own window which you could then move to another monitor. If you experiment with it you should report your findings.

3 Likes

Hmm, I see ā€œmove to other tab paneā€ which creates a split view on one monitor but nothing about a popup option on the tabs.

@Epitaph64 for now, perhaps a workflow with VSCode or Atom could be useful for you? I have an Editor opened on one monitor and a Code window with the same project on the second monitor and it is very convenient, synchronisation is automatic after each save :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks I hadnā€™t thought of that. Now that I think about it some of the editor related features are lacking in comparison to Atom so that would be a good solution.

1 Like

Follow-up question on this - would you know if there is a way to have Defold engine module auto-completion in VSCode?

1 Like

Yes, there are plugins, search for Defold (and Lua for language autocompletion) in the Marketplace

I had an attempt of porting my Defold IDE extension to VSCode (as Iā€™m not using Atom anymore) for function autocomplete and inline docs, but it ended up on the ā€œIā€™ll do it sometime when Iā€™ll have timeā€ list. I anyway have some maintenance to slowly catch up on first.

Meanwhile, these are the extensions I use: https://github.com/critique-gaming/crit-boilerplate/blob/master/.vscode/extensions.json

And this is the configuration: https://github.com/critique-gaming/crit-boilerplate/blob/master/.vscode/settings.json

4 Likes