Much needed sound features

Currently, we can only tell a sound to play or to stop, change its the volume and make it loop.

But some basic features would be very useful, like (from most important to less important) :

• The ability to tell if a sound is being played
  • The ability to get the current playback time of a sound
  • The ability to set the current playback time of a sound (like fast forward / rewind)
  • The reception of messages for the most important events of a playing sound : play, stop, end, change time…

Thank you for considering these feature requests.

7 Likes

You can use OpenAL extension by @sergey.lerg to get a state and time of a sound :wink: There is also Debeat as well

1 Like

Does this extension work for Android and iOS ? If yes, I will then surely use it because I really need these features for my game…

1 Like

I’ve only checked OpenAL on Android and works great! :wink: Setting the start time to play a sound might be very useful, but I think a bit tricky, if even possible. Maybe someone have an idea, though? :wink:

1 Like

The audio features of Defold are very basic and some really basic things are missing. We’re setting the roadmap for the next 6 to 12 months and some improvements to the audio system will be included. The things that have historically been asked for many many times are:

• Ability to pitch sounds
  • Getting a message/callback when a sound has finished playing
  • Being able to control an audio cursor
8 Likes