Moku, Map utility & auto-tile module

This is what I’m calling the alpha of my map module. It is not currently even close to finished, nor is it tested, but I wanted to link to it for anybody who may be interested. I will release it on the asset site once I have a hero image.

The module currently offers an (admittedly heavily imposed) data structure for map managing. This structure is used for handling things like 4-bit and 8-bit directional auto-tiling, cell picking, and some other minor things. I have done some extensive work on the documentation but it is still quite sloppy and unfinished. Refer to the demo to see how things work.

The autotiling is based on this method: https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-use-tile-bitmasking-to-auto-tile-your-level-layouts--cms-25673 (I use a modified version of this guys tileset in the demo project btw)

Currently the goal is to get this as user friendly and bug free as possible, and getting the documentation up to snuff. The next goal will be the addition of some fairly powerful and fast AStar path finding. Along the way I’ll add any small convenience functions I can come up with.

As mentioned in the readme, I am fairly open to moderate design changes. I have never released software to the public before, so I’m very used to just designing for my needs, and have no idea what others may find annoying, useless, or outright horribly soul destroying, so let me know. I do already have some ideas for changes, but decided to just release it as is, to get some feedback before I go on a massive crusade to make it even more messed up :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

Full module documentation has been added: Link

As well as a simple auto tiling guide on the github page: Moku

4 Likes

Alright its finally released on the asset portal. https://www.defold.com/community/projects/104596/

I have changed a lot, and i think its in a decent state now (apart from bugs that are bound to pop up).

It now supports fairly powerful (but largely untested) pathfinding, a demo project (also on the portal), and moku cells are no longer puny integers but godlike tables, which should allow for much more flexibility. Documentation prolly all messed up due to changes, and i havent added pathfinding tutorial yet, but meh. Im done for now :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks to Axel Hammerback for the Hero image and thumbnail :slight_smile:

Only one more feature to go before i make a hex version and start the torture over :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: and before somebody points it out as broken, the pathfinding example has some intended weird behavior, as a means to demonstrate flexibility. Its explained in demo script comments

11 Likes