Mena: Cloud Rider

Thanks Axel ^^ here’s one more ^^

He’s large so that’s bad enough but when his life is endangered he goes incognito; as if he wasn’t a big enough problem.

I think this one is doable for my level. I can handle all that in the animation sprite ^^ yaay ^^

4 Likes

@FILMon Man, you’re a friggin’ wizard! Looks like the game is coming along swimmingly. I think you’ll definitely be ready to throw something up on Itch for the game jam by the end of the month. Congrats on all the progress!

Myself, i just put together a list of 26 items that I absolutely must complete before i have a real playable of my jam game. Most of them will take 2-3 hours each, minimum :expressionless: I’m in crunch time over here :’(

4 Likes

Thanks @ryanscottlandry!!! It’s been a pleasure working on this thing but whenever I think I’m done I want to add something else to it so I’m starting to think it won’t ever be done done just have to decide when to pull the plug and ship to itch/IOS/Android

I’ve also gotten some ideas for 2 other games so I want to drop this one and start on the others but gotta finish first lol

I must have like 20 new things I’ve wanted to add but I think I choose which ones are absolutely necessary.
I also build things really cheaply that way if I end not liking them it’s okay cuz I only spent like 5 minutes building it and if I like it I refine it later lol

Thanks for all the support Ryan!!!

I know how you feel. I started my game with no idea what it was going to be like. I wanted to see if i had the code chops to make a clone of the old game “choplifter” and i realized after 1 day that i did, and that it wasn’t enough of a challenge. So i started building a story, and gameplay elements to supoort it, and now I’m waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy down the rabbit hole with an estimated 40+ hours of work left to get 1 playable mission by the deadline. I hope I’ll finish in time…

2 Likes

You can do it Ryan!!! I try to stay balanced cuz all nighters and stuff are just not sustainable for me and produce terrible results eventually if not immediately.

I usually get 8 hours of sleep a day but not all in one sitting ^^ I nap when I’m tired and usually up around 3-4am cuz I nap so much through out the day ^^

I also take a lot of walks. Just sharing some things I’ve found beneficial for me friend hope some work for you ^^

Next steps:

• Heading to my good friend Solomon’s Wedding and enjoying ^^
  • Honor the Sabath tomorrow and rest
  • Finish all animations

5 Likes

Quick question:

I updated the game on slick iron and it’s not working. I tried Itcho as well and same thing.

I’m sure there’s something wrong with my bundle file but no bug errors when I run it in Defold.

Any way I can troubleshoot?

Link to GAME PLAY ^^
Forgotten Forest Play Through
https://photos.app.goo.gl/g0PdsFHqsYKdEEWE2

5 Likes

Cool! Well done!

1 Like

Need help
Any thoughts on why the bundle isn’t playing on Slick Iron and Itch?

It plays in Defold but not when bundled and there are no build errors.
I just saw the bundled files and noticed there wasn’t really much content there(images etc). Is that maybe the issue?

Unfortunately not… Do you get any error messages? It could be a caching issue as well—could you try to open the Sticky Iron page in incognito mode or another browser to see if the playable was in fact uploaded?

2 Likes

Thanks Axel! I tried incognito mode and it didn’t work.

I think it just didn’t output any files from Defold. I’m looking at the bundled folder and files there and it doesn’t seem to have any images or anything but maybe those game.arcd files are image files; not sure.

When testing your game on the community page, we brought up the “Developer Console”. It’s available on the common browsers: Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge etc.

Once there, we noticed an error message that mentioned that the game tried to allocate more memory than the tab had available. So it stopped.

There are a few possible solutions:

1. Are all assets loaded at the same time? If you have levels, make sure you only have the current level loaded, to minimise the memory footprint.
  2. Decrease the asset size: My guess is that you have quite large textures? You could try making the textures smaller (since many of them look like they’re single color?).
  3. You could try configure the heap size: Customizing the heap size.

I’d recommend a combination of 1 and 2

2 Likes

Yes. The arcd files contain all game content. The javascript game engine is in the “Cloud Rider.js” file and the file “dmloader.js” does the loading of content from the archives to the engine.

1 Like

Okay thanks team that makes sense! I’ll start with extreme changes to see if I can get it to just load then optimize to make it stable ^^

I’ll post back with updates!

Quick update:

• Removed Audio (12mb)
  • Removed large animation (300 frames)
  • Reduced zip file to 2mb

It’s still crashing and based on the developer console it’s still saying it’s lacking memory.

I don’t think I understand the word “Texture” how do I make a texture smaller?
I can’t imagine a 2mb file being memory intensive but I’m sure I’m not thinking about it correctly and from the browsers’s perspective on how it consumes memory space.

Sorry forgot to mention that I only have 1 level

1 Like

It Worked!

It didn’t work in the normal browser but I remember Axel saying to test it in incognito mode because of cache and when I did it worked.

Not sure what it was but I’m going to put back some of those elements one by one until it breaks again ^^ crude but that’s my level of debugging right now ^^

1 Like

Does an OSX bundle work or does that fail as well? What’s the total size of the HTML5 export? Perhaps you could check the Generate Build Report checkbox and share the report. If you are familiar with the OS Terminal you could try this:

1. Open terminal and change directory to the one containing index.html
  2. Type: python -m SimpleHTTPServer
  3. You should get a message saying “Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 8000 …”
  4. Open a browser and type localhost:8000 in the address field

Does it load? Do you get an error? What if you open developer tools in your browser (Chrome: More Tools->Developer Tools) and reload? Do you get an error message in the developer tools window?

2 Likes

Texture is another word for image file, as it is loaded from disk to the graphics card. Often, a texture contains many images that are used for various sprites and such. This makes memory and disk handling more efficient. Defold’s atlases corresponds to single texture files. When the texture file is stored on disk it is usually compressed as a PNG or JPEG, but when it is loaded to the graphics card it is extracted.

For example:

• Create a 4096x4096 image with very little color information (like large areas with the same color) and it will take very little disk space since it compresses well.
  • Now when the same image is stored, uncompressed in memory, each pixel will consume one byte per color channel. There are 4 color channels (red, green, blue and alpha). So each pixel takes 4 bytes (32 bits). A 4096x4096 image is over 16,7 million pixels. so the total memory is about 67 megabytes of memory for that single texture.

There are many ways to reduce the memory consumption:

1. Don’t store images larger than necessary. If you scale your graphics down a lot, you can instead scale the source image and use the new image as is, without scaling.
  2. Reuse elements. If you can draw an image with tiles, you can reuse the data for blocks that are the same.
  3. Store simpler data, like 16 bit textures or removing alpha. You can also apply in memory texture compression. Those things are a bit advanced so I would recommend that you wait with digging into those things until later.
4 Likes