Mena: Cloud Rider

Wow thanks for the awesome replies! I’ll give it a shot and report!!!

1 Like

Will there be more than one lightning bolt visible at a time? Will the lightningbolt follow the player game object while visible or will it be “fired from” the player and then be independently positioned from the player?

I see a couple of different solutions:

1. Have a lightning.go in the same collection as the player and parented to the player. Start with the lightning bolt go disabled (send a “disable” message to the lightning bolt to disable all components on it). Send an “enable” message to it when it should be visible. This assumes one lightning bolt at a time and following the player always.

2. Have the lightning.go in the same collection as the player but not parented to the player. Start with the lightning bolt go disabled (send a “disable” message to the lightning bolt to disable all components on it). Send an “enable” message to it when it should be visible and position it positioned at the player. This assumes one lightning bolt at a time.

3. Have a factory component that can spawn lightning.go instances. Pass the player position as second argument to factory.create() to spawn the lightning bolt at the players position.

2 Likes

It worked!
Thanks for the reply Britzl and all!!!

Bug - Can’t Bundle HTML5
I was looking to output to HTML 5 so I can update the game on Slick Iron but ran into a little issue.
I tried many different ways to remedy the lightning.png that I think is the reason for the error. Any help on this is much appreciated ^^

1 Like

The problem is that you have the atlas and the png named the same and at the same location on disk. Rename one or move into another folder.

3 Likes

Thanks Britzl!!!

1 Like

Got the tower to light up on collision with lightning so here’s the next step:

Next Step

• Make all 7 Towers for level 1, Forgotten Forest
2 Likes

Full day today ^^ No time to work on game. Solution:

• Design in my mind
  • Sleep early and wake up early (skip movie tonight, something has to give

For me, it’s not about losing a day it’s about losing momentum and cutting into necessities (Prayer, Family Time, Physical Health) just isn’t an option.

Cheers friends ^^

3 Likes

… (Prayer, Family Time, Physical Health) just isn’t an option.

Priorities in order :slight_smile: :+1:

Sounds like you’ve got a great plan and a great mindset.

2 Likes

7 Towers artwork complete ^^ and I’m happy with the concept and style. I really enjoyed myself ^^

Next Step
Refine Lighting Bolt ability (limit the ability, e.g. wait 2 sec before next use, no spam ^^)

Here’s how i’m thinking it should work but have no idea:

On spacebar press

• activate lighting
  • next line of code disables spacebar
  • next line of code triggers 2sec timer that states “at end of timer enable spacebar”

That’s my humble reasoning any direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks friends!!!

3 Likes

I’d do something like this:

function init(self)
	-- keep track of a timestamp when it's allowed to use lightning again
	self.lightning_next = 0
end

function on_input(self, action_id, action)
	if action_id == hash("lightning") and action.released then
		local now = socket.gettime()
		-- is the current time more than or equal to the time when it is
		-- ok to use lightning again?
		if now >= self.lightning_next then
			self.lightning_next = now + 2
			activate_lightning()
		end
	end
end
4 Likes

Thanks Britzl!!! Gonna give it a go now and report back!

2 Likes

It worked brilliantly!!! I’ll study the code a bit more so I can find other uses for it!
I’m gonna celebrate by animating the lightning bolt and uploading to Sticky Iron ^^

3 Likes

Happy to say the game is updated with the lighting effect on Sticky Iron.
Still not there yet but let me take some time and thank the whole team for making it this far!!!

I’m not ready to animate yet. I think I want to do some clean up before the next phase of work.

Next Steps

• Game Over: enemy collision or tower passes
  • Add all 7 towers
  • Obvious fixes (tower re-spawning and point system)
  • UI for tracking points and Activated Towers

If I do those things I think the game will be mostly playable. I’ll take it one step at a time ^^

Cheers friends and thanks again

3 Likes

Two down, three to go!

1. Seven Towers in game :ok_hand:
  2. Game Over Screen (enemy collision/tower pass)
  3. Fix - Tower Re-spawn :ok_hand:
  4. Fix - Point System
  5. UI - points, towers
4 Likes

Four down, one to go ^^

Seven Towers in game :ok_hand:
Game Over Screen :ok_hand:
Fix - Tower Re-spawn :ok_hand:
Fix - Point System :ok_hand:
UI - points, towers

3 Likes

Quick question before I start on the last item.

Context
When a tower goes off screen to the left there’s a collision object that detects it and throws "Game Over"
It might not be the ideal way but that’s what I came up with lol

My Question
Is there any way to disable a collision object?
I wanted to disable the collision object on the tower if hit by lightning so that it doesn’t throw “Game Over” when going off screen.

I’m sure there’re different ways to solve just wanted to get feedback. Thanks!!!

1 Like

If it’s from a script attached to the same go as the collision object:

msg.post("#thecollisionobject", "disable")

If you only have the game object id:

msg.post(msg.url(nil, id, "thecollisionobject"), "disable")
1 Like

Thanks Britzl!!! It worked perfectly!!! I should be able to publish another version on sticky iron in 2 days. I’m going to start animating now ^^ enough of the elements are there thanks t0 everyones help!!!

cheers friends

1 Like

was thinking about different abilities for the enemies…not that the game isn’t hard enough ^^

If I have time near the end I’m going to see if I can add abilities like the below where this enemy steals light with each eye that’s closed. Take him out before he closes all his eyes ^^

Cheers friends

4 Likes

Love this kind of creativity—nice one!

1 Like