Mena: Cloud Rider

For years reason for has been for legacy hardware on some projects in the casual world but now it’s more about forcing us to not use unnecessary amounts of texture memory when scaling up textures in game can look good enough.

2 Likes

Well, yes, I agree that you should carefully consider the atlases you create and their sizes. Also, don’t forget to use texture compression to reduce texture size.

2 Likes

yay! I love the art instantly. Good luck on the #CoronaDefoldJam

3 Likes

It’s on the site now! :confetti_ball: You can create a community page for your game over at the Games section.

4 Likes

Final thoughts on Production Resolution

Is 2732x2048 greedy and unnecessary. I just want to be sure the graphics are rich and crisp.
Or is 2048x1536 more than enough? I also don’t want the game to be too large(file size)

This site is so beautiful. I can’t wait to put my cover on here!!!
I’ve updated the cover and limited the color pallet and added atmosphere ^^

5 Likes

Cool, glad you like it! You should add your playable, too—check out the manual. Would be fun to try your game :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Axel!!! Thank you so much for pointing me to that dude! I’m terrible at finding stuff lol

I’m going to do it today when I get home promise. It’s terrible right now though. It’s just a bunch of enemies scrolling from right to left but I gotta learn to “just ship!” and not keep things in dev forever ^^

Cheers

3 Likes

Finally got the game on the sticky iron site. I have a lot of work to do to make the game fun and challenging.

Great Games
Great products are built in iterations. Same with Pixar films. I have a feeling great games are built the same way.

What I hate
Right now I hate the game but that’s not important. The important thing is knowing what particular part I hate and fixing that one thing and doing that over and over again.

My solution
Right now The one thing that I hate is the fact that all you’re doing in the game is avoiding the Red guys and collecting the coins. I want to make the game a little different and will add a tower that you have to charge with a lightning bolt and if you miss it the game ends. I think that would be a good way to make the game challenging and add another dynamic. I would be happy playing that on different levels and maybe the tower can change per level but the mechanics stay the same.

Cheers friends and happy building ^^

3 Likes

@FILMon

How to do the “lightnings” I’ve seen on you screenshots? I just can “fly” around and collect. And I dont die :slight_smile:
Unlimited flying on a Cloud :smiley:

1 Like

hey @FILMon

VERY nice your graphics. I really like the simple and clean art!

1 Like

Here’s the power towers artwork for now; keep on moving ^^

I can imagine they would move slow so the users can find a perfect time to power the towers.
That’s enough of a dynamic to make the game unique for now. I have no idea how the elements will be used at this point just sense that they are need for added interest.

Next Up

• Putting the tower in game
  • Make a static lighting bolt for character. I’ll need help on this and will post about it formally next

Saving animations for last because I predict I’ll change things and it’s more productive to change one static image then an animation set.

2 Likes

Hey Stephen! I actually haven’t built it yet. I started with the concept art and now I’m adding all the elements into the game. I’ll be adding the Power Tower and Lighting next but I have a lot of questions I’ll be asking on the forum.

Thanks everyone for the support!

1 Like

Cool. Everthing good :slight_smile:
I thought the lightnings are already done as I saw them on the screen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Enjoying the weekend evening with our beloved daughter Hermela and two boys Mikael and Misael

It’s these positive down times that allow me to work more effectively later ^^

11 Likes

Hey @FILMon!

Beautiful picture of you and your familiy!

3 Likes

Thanks for the love Stephen and all!

1 Like

I have the Lightning Bolt in the game as a GO same for the Tower. I have them colliding with each other. I also have the spacebar input set up so I’m happy about all that. Here’s where I need help:

How to set Spacebar to activate Lightning
Here’s my thinking so I can get edification. I’m assuming that I should have the lightning bolt GO in the main collection and in the script component I set it to go.delete()

When the Spacebar is clicked I would want the Lightning Bolt Go to be created. Let’s skip the other details for now; like it being created in the same location as the hero character ^^

Conclusion
If my thinking is correct is there a go.create() function I can run? If my approach isn’t correct please feel free to lead me in the right direction.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @FILMon, you’ll want to check out “factories” in the documentation. You can create a lightning factory with your lightning GO and attach the factory to your player. Then when spacebar is pressed you factory.create() which will dynamically create a lightning GO. You’ll definitely still need a provision wihtin your lightning script OR your player script to go.delete() the lightning. This way you can have as many lightnings as you need throughout the game without having to put dozens of them in your main collection.

3 Likes

hey mena.
Add the lightning to the main Collection and in the init() you may disable it (or from another script like a gamecontrol.script or so)

In the attached script (init-function) of the lightning.go use

msg.post(".", "disable")

In the input-section you may enable it in the same way “enable”.

This is just one way of solution. Remember to update the Position of the lightning equal to the Player.

2nd way could be Setting the sprite of the lightning to transparent. But this will cost a drawcall IMO.

IF you delete the GO you must use a factory to spawn it :slight_smile:

2 Likes