Mena: Cloud Rider

Nice graphics! Hope to play your game one day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree! I love the art style!

:slight_smile:

Yup. In the beginning it’s better to just make stuff and move forward and worry about the big picture later. You might have to go back and redo some parts, but for productivity and happiness its important to not get stuck when learning new things. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks Den! I’m a big SNES, RPG, Zelda kinda fan so I think I’m drawing a lot from that. I also love great game mechanics and game balance, you know, something challenging. I’m not a good programmer so that part will be hard but this community has been awesome so I’m hopeful ^^

More to come

Cheers

1 Like

Wow thanks Britzl!!! I ride upon the shoulder of giants here ^^ I just know this game is gonna launch!

not total happy with the element and coin icons but I’m moving forward and will revisit it at a later point.

2 Likes

…I reaaaaalllly can’t stand the icons, color, shape, contrast with BG etc but like I said I have my PM hat now and it’s time to go ^^

1 Like

this is great. Why don’t you also submit it to the online gamejam we’re running?

you’ll get a bit of attention and may win something useful.

3 Likes

Wow thanks Oleg! @ryanscottlandry had mentioned it as well but I really didn’t think I would get it done by then or it be any good. If you both think it’s worth submitting I’ll take your advice on it ^^

I’ll keep working to get a playable version and will upload an updated HTML5 version every other day or so. Still haven’t had the chance to get to my home office to output but hopefully today. In the meantime I’ll keep working on the graphics on my other devices.

Thanks for the support everyone!

3 Likes

For gamejams man ships betas and playables, not done games =]
But we’ll definitely have more contests at some point.

3 Likes

Amazing Mena. It looks very well put together. I’m interested in how it will play out.

2 Likes

Perfect then ^^ thanks Oleg!

Thanks for the support @Gmanicus!

1 Like

I cheated a little. I had to update those elements. There just wasn’t enough contrast between them and the background. I think there is now and they communicate better to me for now ^^

3 Likes

Remember Mega Man ^^
One of my childhood favorite games.
I loved charging the xblaster as long as I could. The longer the better the attack and it added an extra dynamics to the game. I want to do the same for this Character(we’ll see if it’s actually doable). I figured lighting is reasonable seeing as he’s riding on a cloud lol.

Next Steps
I think I’m done with artwork for now. It’s time to put on the scary dev hat and maybe start with what I already know:

• Build 5 Enemy GOs into the factory
  • Build all the Grab Item GOs into the factory
  • Build Background GOs (dear etc)

Advice Is Welcome
Also, if anyone has any advice on what I should work on next please let me know. I could use the heads up. I’m just making it up as I go along.

Cheers friends and happy building

4 Likes

Cover art for CoronaDefoldJam ^^

Cover Art Matters
When this makes it to an App store the cover art will do 99% of the work.
No matter how great a game, the cover art will always dictate purchases.
It’s like YouTube, you only click on the videos that have a compelling thumbnail picture.

I don’t know if this is compelling but I was just copying Zelda Covers and old SNES games ^^

Cheers friends and happy building ^^

7 Likes

Quick question friends. If I want to build for IOS and Android. What’s the largest project file I should use.
I want to support the iPad Pros as well.

Is 1920x1080 a good idea for HD Mobile or should I go smaller/larger.

Thanks in advance

@britzl

I went with 1920x1080 just to keep moving until anyone suggests a different size.
I figured can’t go wrong with good ole 1080p ^^

1 Like

I target 2048x1536 for PC/Tablet targeted landscape games with 1024x1024 as max texture size and 640x1136 for general portrait phone games.

Games with your style of graphics will still look really good even if they are upscaled a little bit. Be careful of using too many large textures at once even on iPads.

1 Like

Well, I can’t say I have much experience, but in the project (My first, besides hobby/unfinished ones in the past) I’m working on currently I started with UI. My template, of sorts. I hashed/am hashing out the main game UI (Stuff after you hit play) like regular buttons, tooltips, menus, etc. Im working on an entrepreneurial, strategy, build-em-up sort of game. It will be different with every project, but that’s where I started. I’d recommend for yours, build a level and then expand from there.

3 Likes

Why 1024x1024? Surely you can go for 2048x2048 without losing too many potential players?

2 Likes