Meet Gridog – your daily word puzzle companion! 🐾 Can you unravel the mystery word?

:wave: Hello world.

Introducing Gridog – your daily dose of wordy wonders! :paw_prints: Unleash your inner word detective by navigating through a maze of letters to uncover the hidden word. 🕵‍♂ Share your triumphs on social media and challenge friends to beat your accuracy. Come back tomorrow for a new puzzle – because with Gridog, every day is a playful puzzle expedition! :dog2::books:

Give it a try at gridog.com. Since we are good friends, I’ll give you a defold forum head start: today’s word second letter is “C” :wink:

Can you sniff out the hidden word?

20 Likes

I like this a lot. It is very clean and simple which is my favorite. This will be my first “wordle” type of game I’ll be playing daily.

Btw. the logo is cute! :bone:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. I’m really glad you enjoyed it because I really enjoyed making this game.

Have fun, and if you spot a bug pls let me know :).

Incredibly smooth and cute, it has a level of polish that’s simply nice without anything getting in the way. Love the subtle animations too.

But… I indeed did not sniff well, got the word on around 40%

1 Like

Very cute and simple game! Congratulation with the release :tada:

There is a simple thing you can fix with the fonts:
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.23.33

The solution here: Issues with DF fonts - #10 by totebo

3 Likes

One thing I would like to see is an indicator when mouse hovering a letter box. Perhaps a nice sound, different from the click sound, along with some kind visual indicator.

After todays word I had to google it do see its definition, would be cool to see the definition at the result view.

1 Like

Nice! I also landed at 40%, must improve!

Out of curiosity, is the daily word baked into the app or stored on a server?

Also, I noticed the clipboard copy works on mobile web, is that using custom JavaScript, or did you use the Defold Clipboard extension?

1 Like

I noticed that too. But I don’t have much experience with the behind the scenes of fonts, so I somehow imagined that would be very hard to fix. Glad to see that’s not necessarily true. Thanks a lot for the link, I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

That’s not so bad. I happened to miss more and I curated the words list :slight_smile: . I’m sure you will make better tomorrow :muscle:

Hmm, you are totally right. I will do something and let you know once it’s live. Thanks for the feedback!

About the wordlist: it’s stored on the client side (inside the app). It’s basically a list of aprox. 600 not too obscure words. That means that if no new words are added, after 2 years they will repeat. But I doubt someone will remember the words from 2 years ago so that shouldn’t be a problem.

About the clipboard: it does use an extension and had to add a bit of code to have it work in the browser. But I don’t remember the name and I don’t have my laptop with me. Will check it tomorrow and come back to you.

2 Likes

Yes, used Britzl’s extension. To make it work in the browsers too, add in the touch event’s callback:

-- native app clipboard copy is handled by the clipboard library
if (clipboard ~= nil) then
    clipboard.copy(share_message(self))
else
    -- html5 clipboard copy is handled by the "polyfill"
    defos.on_interaction(function() 
        copy_text(self)
    end)
end

where copy_text is a local function:

-- this function is used to copy a given text to the clipboard, on browser builds
local function copy_text(self)
    -- check if the current browser supports the clipboard API
	local result = html5.run("navigator.clipboard")
	if result == "[object Clipboard]" then
        -- executes the supplied string as JavaScript inside the browser.
		html5.run("clipboard_copy('" .. share_message(self) .. "')")
	else
		print("Can't access clipboard")
	end
end

Now, the last step is to provide the clipboard_copy function. Add it to the page’s head tag:

<script type="text/javascript">
async function clipboard_copy(thing_to_copy) {
   const result = await navigator.clipboard.writeText(thing_to_copy);
}
</script>
2 Likes

Nice, but I was clueless as to what I was trying to do. I now see I’m trying to guess the correct letter in each column to spell a word using only one letter from each column.

1 Like

Hello world,

Just writing a small update: the fonts issues has been addressed and now there is a feedback effect when hovering over a tile.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and tips!

gridog.com #③③ - accuracy ⑨⓪%

A nice addition to my daily addictions, awesome work again. Might only be small changes but it does feel that little extra polished :slight_smile:

2 Likes

gridog.com #③③ - accuracy ⑤⑥%

I’m not sure I’m improving! 🫠

2 Likes