#MadeWithDefold Jam

For wedding @Pawel I wish the best, but remember keep distances , in Salonica done 3 weddings last days and all had problem with this new virus covid-19, I wish all you be ok and healthy , just I am saying in big crowds is a problem, and you @Pawel have twins to take care. Again I wish all good and to be well and healthy I hope not take in a bad way my talking. Thanks

2 Likes

Haha, @Elpidoforos_Gkikas, thanks for your care :wink: it’s a really, really small wedding, only we and parents and we all work remotely and are staying home all the time :smiley:

1 Like

good to hear, I wish again all the best, thanks

1 Like

Last hours of voting!

Firstly, thank you again for participating in the first game jam I made, all of the submissions are awesome, with great ideas and a lot of fun! :heart:

As this jam rule of thumb is that only submitters are able to vote, please make sure you voted on all of those superb games and assets! :memo:

I will then check the results and according to them in both categories you will gain prizes! As a special thank you message all of the participants will get a special gift from me! :gift:

If you are not on Defold forum I will probably need to reach you via e-mail, so please send me a message at witchcrafter.rpg@gmail.com :email:

Have a nice weekend!

9 Likes

​is the gift sth we can eat from the wedding? for example a piece of cake? :smile:

thanks

3 Likes

Looks like you all are having fun! I’ll join the next one for sure!

5 Likes

I made a few notes on each of the submitted games, so here they are, in no particular order:

BLOODWAVE

Bloody hell! It took me quite a while to figure out the mechanics (particularly the detail that the blood golems feed the wave), but finally got a stable run. This game could be really fun with more of everything - more enemy types, more spell, more BLOOD. I especially like the little effect when one of the enemies die.

Bloody good work!

Ship go brrr

This game is trippy! First I died, then I thought I had the handle on things, but those sideways ships are wicked. I don’t think I’ve seen this mechanic in a similar game before. It definitely gets me out of my comfort zone and they absolutely, positively, do go brrr…

Rock Hopper

Lovely graphics, great polish, relaxing gameplay.

The time was never a factor for me (which is a good thing, btw!) though I didn’t even try to get all the collectibles (got only 35 crystals and 3 of the 4 artifacts), I guess things get a lot more tight if you end up going through every inch of every screen.

The gameplay is a little bit too simple, but it’s got great potential. I believe metroid-style unlocks were mentioned? That would be awesome, but it’s still a lovely game as it is.

Space Gunfight

Didn’t have a chance to play against someone, but judging by how well it went when playing alone, it would end up a contest who can kill themselves the fastest.

It’s way too hard to control. I should know. I made a game very similar to this and the main problem was that… it was too hard to control. It’s not a trivial matter - struggle against the controls should be a part of the game, but it’s always better to err on the side of making it too easy, since as the developer you’ll always have an easier time playing it.

The Secret Laboratory

This is nice.

I really like the writing. It’s just a taste, but it feels nice.

I didn’t manage to save anyone.

Or do anything heroic.

But at least I got to listen to some nice music on a record player, so that’s something.

I hope the game didn’t lie when it said it was to be continued.

Beep beep.

The connection is lost.

Rotate Ring

Very professional looking. Very impressive, though at the same time a little off-putting. That’s just me, though.

I wrote a whole paragraph about how the gameplay is too tough, but then I realised the game runs 2.4 times faster than it should, so none of my points apply. And when trying to play it as intended, it suddenly felt sluggish in comparison (I spent at least half an hour trying to beat my record of 3 previously) so at this point I’m unable to say anything objective about it.

What I can say is that I really like the changing background and light/dark mode switch. Changes the mood significantly.

Nonogram game

I couldn’t get it installed for some reason, which is a shame. It looks like it would be fun. I like how it looks, and I always liked this kind of puzzles.

Smoothaplex

So, I wasted most of the two weeks making this a platformer, with free movement and gravity and stuff. The thing is, I could easily make a the game behave correctly, but I had trouble implementing glitching through walls (which was partially caused by me not knowing exactly how it’s supposed to be working). Either it was not glitching enough or it was a mess. With a day or two left, I decided I was tired of coding and draw up some graphics, inspired by Supaplex and then it hit me that the game would work way better if it was based on grid movement. So I throw all I had out of the window and made what you can see in a day.

And it might have potential, actually. The few levels I threw together don’t allow it, but with low enough frame rate, you can pass by enemies even in a tight corridor. With some way to control the smoothness, the player would be able to trap enemies behind walls, stuff like that. For now, this is all you’re getting. A game about as half-assed as the name I came up with seconds before uploading it to itchio.

Furry Burst

Building your own roller coaster is fun, but the best part of RollerCoaster Tycoon was popping those runaway balloons. Pop! Pop! This game has that, so I’m good. Played long enough to see the animals stop spawning and it was time well spent.

Play on widescreen PC with fullscreen mode for special psychedelic mode.

The Wooter

Woot!

Survive 60 seconds:

This is great. Love the design, the ticking. The numbers getting stuck at the walls and pose a delayed threat is a nice touch. The game is pretty good at giving you a false sense of security and then crushing you without mercy. The controls are a bit weird with a mouse, but I guess it’s designed for phone. Great job!

Tohatra

I like how you can see a part of the next floor before you use the ladder, so you can get ready for what comes ahead. Fun little game. I only wish the character could jump a little farther. I had this issue with Rock Hopper a bit too, actually. Maybe I just like to jump far.

The music is nice and gives the game a fitting sense of urgency.

I’d love to see slightly lower difficulty, but additional types of obstacles as the game goes on.

Drift Dodge Drive - 3D Drive!

Impressive stuff! The boxes are just unpredictable enough to keep things interesting without being too frustrating. The drift is fun, though it did give me some GTA: San Andreas flashbacks. That one driving school mission sucked. The last one, well, to be honest, I’m disappointed that there’s no way to crash the car. I was hoping to at least be able to make it disappear off the far edge, but no dice.

I think I’ll go mess around with the source when I get the time. The source is available, right?

Oh, and I love the title. Very clever!

Dig Game

This could be fun! I’m not a fan of these progressively more expensive upgrades. It makes the game feel too much like a chore.

It reminded me of this game - that could be an inspiration if you wanted to push the game in a more strategic direction.

Pegasus

Ugh! Yeah, that’s what I think about this game! Ugh! That was such a great game and, I assume, your inspiration? Anyway, half of the games in this jam are unplayable for me on a 144 hz monitor, as they run too fast. I had to switch it to 60 hz mode while playing them. I think this might have the opposite problem? The pegasus was crawling very slowly until I switched back to 144hz. Then it was fine.

One thing that I really enjoyed was the Greek. I had one semester of ancient greek a LONG time ago, and even though I forgot almost everything, I can still read the greek alphabet, if only very slowly. It feels good to decipher the characters one by one and then realize, that’s Knossos! I know that name!

MECHA SNAKE

Looks great, even unfinished! I played the Godot version a bit and it’s really nice. The hopping of the keys is oddly hypnotic. I haven’t really figured out what the point of the game is, though. Seems like there’s very little odds of dying accidentally.

What I thought would happen was that different colours of different keys would mean different speeds and maybe other variables when going in that specific direction, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I feel like I’m missing something, but maybe it’s just a simple snake game and I’m overthinking it.

Void Tapper

Very foreboding, very unsettling. I almost gave up just before the ending because I realised it’s not my soul I’m scarificing but my mouse button.

At first I was missing music. No. Not music, more like a hum of endless eons. Maybe some chanting of the damned, but barely audible, just almost present on the unconsious level. Then I realized I’m kinda already imagining the kind of sounds I’m expecting? It was vivid enough for me, anyway.

It reminded me of inspirobot, which has the same sense of foreboding and has you clicking endlessly, but it takes a while before the sinister nature of the website starts showing. And there’s a reward for your clicks, so that’s something. There’s something to be said for just clicking to give your soul away freely for no reward. I finished Seeking Mr Eaten’s Name storyline in Fallen London. I can enjoy this kind of stuff.

12 Likes

Thanks, @Klear! As usual i bit off more than I could chew, and had zero plan going in (check my progress video posted above if you haven’t already to see what i mean…). I plan to continue working on BLOODWAVE at a later time (i need at least another week break) beginning with a massive, massive cleanup and restructuring.

4 Likes

ok to tell the truth ugh is a classic and yes that was the inspiration , i loved this game when played when i was young , now i am a bold greek and not young. :smile: and yes with speed has a problem i do not know how to set in right speed. so goes +1 pixel. As for greek off course is greek and off course you can read them. Are very easy. Also I can give who wants recipes as I am cook also, maybe you want recipe of moussaka. Thanks for your analysis. I hope you enjoyed Pegasus

3 Likes

Thanks, @klear. Cool ref for dig game. :grinning:

3 Likes

@ryanscottlandry Tell me about it. By the end on the jam, my code started to get real ugly. I’m not looking forward to cleaning that up when I get to finishing my entry. If I get to finishing it. I’ve got some other interesting stuff cooking up.

@Elpidoforos_Gkikas Well, I had zero practice for about ten years, so I got more than a little rusty in reading greek. I should refresh my memory when I have the time. I’ve found Greek is surprisingly easy to understand, given how many loanwords there are in many European languages, not to mention sciences.

2 Likes

I want to do news sim, but do you believe I could do pegasus as a publish too ? if I do some more levels , some buff for speed or some coin of alexander for score? Do you think they will like the people to play? Thanks

2 Likes

So guys, you can see the jam results here:
https://itch.io/jam/madewithdefold-jam/results

And the winners in Games category are:

1. Ben @benjames171:
    Rock Hopper
    won Darksiders: Warmastered Edition!
  1. Bill @Bill
    Drift Dodge Drive - 3D Drive!
    won Felix: The Reaper!
  1. Roman @astrochili
    The Secret Laboratory
    won Heave Ho!

And because the experiment with assets for a jam was not so successful and there are only two assets actually, including my Defilm, which gained a 2nd place in overall! :smiley: Thank you so much for this, it’s a sufficient reward for me and the game will go to the second daredevil here, who reached the 5th place in overall:

1. Klayton @WhiteBoxDev
    Defold Colors
    won The Witness!

So, to give even more games I would like to make one small exception in that situation and will give a chance to select another one game from the Assets pool to the submitter who gained the 6th place in overall and 4th in Games category:

That’s all! @britzl promised to gift bonuses too, so take a look at results! :wink:

Congratulations once again to all the submitters! You’re breathtaking! :heart:

This was an awesome jam, a little bit long, but thanks to that, I think there are so many entries (comparing to the previous Defold Jams), I have already some more ideas for another Jam formulas, but to ensure you will be interested I prepared a small form, all of you can vote:

• Submitted
  • Missed the deadline, but was making a game
  • Missed the deadline, but was making an asset
  • Wished to make a game, but time was not good
  • Wished to make an asset, but time was not good

0 voters

How do you find the jam organisation? 1-very bad, 5-excellent

0 voters

How long should the jam development phase be? [in days, choose 15 if you think it should be more than 2 weeks]

0 voters

How long should the jam voting phase be? [in days, choose 8if you think it should be more than 1 week]

0 voters

Who should be able to vote?

• Only submitters
  • Only organisator
  • A couple of judges (e.g. organisator, Defold team, chosen gamedevs)
  • All participants, even if not submitted
  • Everyone, even if not participated

0 voters

What do you like about this jam?

• Theme
  • Restrictions (Made with Defold only)
  • Possibility to submit any asset too
  • Duration of the jam
  • Prizes for winners
  • Gifts for all participants
  • Gifts from Defold Team
  • Defold community
  • Organisation
  • Voting by participants only
  • Ability to use any asset
  • Ability to start the game even before the official start
  • Competition

0 voters

What do you NOT like about this jam?

• Theme
  • Restrictions (Made with Defold only)
  • Possibility to submit any asset too
  • Duration of the jam
  • Prizes for winners
  • Gifts for all participants
  • Gifts from Defold Team
  • Defold community
  • Organisation
  • Voting by participants only
  • Ability to use any asset
  • Ability to start the game even before the official start
  • Competition

0 voters

If you have any more suggestions about the jam itself, it would be great to write it here! :heart:

9 Likes

I had fun making The Wooter even though it ended in last place. I actually made that game before I knew about the jam so when I saw the jam I submitted what I had already made and worked on a couple updates to the game. I don’t think I would have added to the game as much if I hadn’t put it in this jam. Thanks pawel for organizing this jam and thanks everyone else that participated and made some cool games (and assets)!

5 Likes

One thing that was a little strange to me was the ability to submit a game which was already being worked on in the past, or submitting a new iteration of an existing project. It’s difficult for voters to get a feel for what’s included in the new iteration vs the old version. Additionally, I suppose I wasn’t able to pick up on which submissions were built from scratch vs improved upon, which does make a difference when voting.

8 Likes

Thank you for the responsible preparation of the game jam. It was definitely fun. And all the participants were friendly and active in this topic. I think this is very cool.
I believe we need to share games created on the engine, not only during the game jam, but also just during the usual time on the forum. Everyone should know what interesting and unusual games can be created on this wonderful engine!
Also I think the judges or the participants should choose the winner. If everyone can vote, it might not be fair due to requests to outsiders to vote for some game.

6 Likes

Klear was right :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks @Pawel for the organisation of the jam , was the first jam I took part, congratulations for the winners , and as said the participation and effort is what matters and not the winning. As for vote I think that the participants and the defold team or some more experienced should vote with us too. Thanks all and keep up the good work I think some of our ideas can be continue and become better.

7 Likes

Congratulations to all participants! Well done! And thank you to @Pawel for organising the jam!

Can I ask @benjames171, @Bill, @astrochili, @WhiteBoxDev and @ryanscottlandry to PM me with t-shirt size + postal address and I’ll arrange for prizes to be sent to you.

7 Likes

Thanks to @Pawel for the jam! Thanks this jam I finally realize the idea that I had in my head for a year. I tested the mechanics and got positive feedback, so I decided to focus my resources on the card-based narrative game.

@Klear thank you for your review! Yeap, the game will be. I’m not sure about English because it’s not my native language, but if the game will be great I think it will be not a problem to find a quality translator.

Great games, guys! I checked all the submissions with interest and pleasure. And I will gladly participate in the next jam.

7 Likes