Lost file with no reason

While working on a project, making small changes and running to see the effects, suddenly I lost my main.collection file. I didn’t receive any errors from the editor. Now if I open game.project I see: “Resource /main/main.collection does not exist”. A few days ago it happened the same with a game object file.
Editor version is: 1.2.96. I’m working on Windows 10 64 bit.
Is this a known issue? How can I recover the lost file?

Hmmm, I don’t think I’ve seen reports like that before. If you can find a way to reproduce the problem that would be awesome.

If you have synced the project, all files are on our Git servers and should be available.

This sounds like the following issue: Files "randomly" being deleted

Apparently running Defold as administrator solves the problem.

Ah, missed that thread! :slight_smile:

I used to get this problem from time to time. The workaround I still use is:

Don’t use "Save All"
Save all files individually before building.

The ‘run as administrator’ idea was a red herring, it turned out.

2 Likes

Thanks for support, I will avoid using “Save All” as suggested by Ben_James

Hmm, that’s really not a very good solution to your problem. Can you see any kind of pattern at all? What kind of file is it that gets deleted? Always the same filetype? Is it always when you use Save All? How often does it happen? Do you have some anti-virus? Where have you installed Defold? If you can think of anything that could help us pin-point the problem then please let us know!

have the same issue. Only on windows. Run as administrator not help. Happend not often. Maybe one time for few days. But if happened one time, it will be happened few times per hour. If reboot pc everthing work ok. Now i work in atom, this issue not happened.

1. This has happened only twice and I don’t see any pattern.
  2. The first time it was a game object, the second time it was main.collection.
  3. I don’t know if it happens with Save All (this is Ben_James suggestion) in both cases I was making small changes here and there and launching with Ctrl-B to see the results, and then after closing the game window and returning to editor a file was missing.
  4. The antivirus I’m using is Bitdefender, free edition.
  5. The directory in which Defold is installed is: “C:\Users\Raffaele\Downloads\Defold-win32.win32.x86”.
    I will let you know if it happens again, unfortunately I don’t think it’s reproducible.