Look Your Loot aka Hamster

All right! I’ve got a new phone, which means I’ve been wasting tons of time with this game. So damn addictive! Anyway, I was taking notes, so here’s a few assorted things I noticed:

• At the character selection screen the head of the Paladin’s hammer looks kinda ready to fall off. The 3D effect is super neat, but the head seems to be moving independently from the shaft.
  • In general I think achievements should be listed (very roughly) in the order of difficulty. I’ve completed 19 of 27 but only one out of the first four (the lockpicking one).
  • The “Reach level 20 and win” achivement should be listed directly under “Reach the 15th level”
  • After finishing a game, the two available icons feel switched. The curved arrow makes me think “return to menu” while I would expect the “play” button to take me back to the game immediately. It took me a while to figure them out and I still sometimes press the wrong one.
  • The Assassin throws the dagger in strange places after using the Shift Mask. I mean, it probably makes sense, but it looks weird, especially when it flies diagonally. I think he should target the tile that was swapped by the Mask.
  • Speaking of weird throws, I was playing the MIX mode and as the game switched to 5x5, I think he threw a dagger at a tile quite a ways from his location and hit a health potion.
  • The first boss is still called “Boss”. Maybe it’s time to give him a name too?
  • It would be nice if the game kept track of victories in specific game modes with specific characters.
  • Finding a second revive with one already active is always quite a drag, but it also usually pushes me into a “suicide” so that I make the most of the powerup. Being forced to pick up a duplicate is, of course, a terrible feeling. I was thinking giving the player some amount of health for it would soften the blow a bit. Same with a duplicate key and gold (and hey, the key is golden, so it would make sense to be able to pawn off the duplicate).
  • The ending screen shows gold collected but not gems.
  • Lightning destroys keys, which is strange, as it spares shields and health potions
  • When confronted with a powerful enough enemy, the Assassin will stop throwing poisoned daggers at some point (I assume as the monster is already poisoned-up enough). He will still throw one at such monster after breaking a barrel or drinking poison.
  • Speaking of breaking barrels - is it intentional that the Assassin throws daggers at ALL enemies next to him after breaking one? I don’t see the logic in it (unlike in the same happening after drinking poison) and as much as I enjoy the mechanic, especially when I manage to hit four monsters at once, so far the Assassin is the only class where I’d bet good money I’ll reach level 20 any day, so a nerf wouldn’t be out of place in my opinion.
  • The Berserker’s healing triggers from being hurt by spike traps, but not from any other sources of out of combat damage.

I’ll keep on making notes as I play and post an update when I have enough once again. In the meantime… I’ve noticed there are quite a few awkward turns of phrases or (what I think are) outright language errors, so I took the liberty of writing them out. But please note - I’m not a native English speaker, so it should be worth it to have someone else look at the list and check if these changes are really necessary. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Additionally sometimes the difference between error and stylistic choice can be a tiny bit blurry, so keep that in mind. Treat these like suggestions rather than fixes. I made any changes or additions bold and took crossed out words I think should be removed. Text in italics are cases where I’m really not sure if I’m correct or where I feel it’s definitely a matter of taste rather than correctness.

Oh, and I’m writing this on a wireless keyboard that’s due new batteries, so there’s probably a lot of missing letters on top of other mistakes that are only on me, so keep that in mind as well.

Character descriptions:

• Knight:
    (…) he enjoys his special ability of the Master of Shields: if an enemy card is weaker than his shield, the shield loses only 1 durability point.

• Combat Mage:
    (…) Oops! (…)
    (…) He can cast mighty fireballs~~,~~ but starts (…)
    (…) only 9 health points and takes not damage if he fails to pick a lock on a chest.

• Rusty Paladin:
    A bit reckless with the rusty hammer (…)
    (…) the Paladin Knight despises shields (…)

• Ruiner:
    (…) seems to be able to turn everything into a bomb, say , a barrel. (…)
    (…) By accident, surely.

• Dark Druid:
    Fearing of light and fire (…)
    (…) seeking for the darkness. The Druid regenerates 1 health every turn without a loss of life. (…)
    Notes: Maybe “Feared of light” is an intentionally archaic formulation? I think “Afeared of light” would perhaps be better. Also if we capitalised it, “seeking the Darkness” would imply some concrete thing of darkness that the Druid seeks (and make the indefinite article “the” fit in the sentence).

• Sir Lancelot: (note - I can’t shake the feeling that there’s an opportnity for a mousey pun with this name, but I can’t seem to figure it out)
    Knight errant and the Defender (…) (note - I assume that “Defender of Yada Yada” is his official title)
    (…) his lance hits one monster behind his target.

• Berserker:
    (…) with one and the only purpose (…)
    (…) He loses some power with every non-combat move, but gains some after every fight.
    (…) A terrible type, if you dare (…) (note - this is not a change, I simple don’t understand what’s meant by the highlighted sentence)
    (…) one problem: he will keep all gold for himself.

• Assassin:
    (…) Throws a poisoned knife at anyone following him.

• Plague Doctor:
    (…) bard sang him a strange farewell song , and thus (…)

Items:
General

• I think all the item names should be fully capitalised, even those that are not proper names of an artefact, i.e. Spell Book, though I’m not 100% sure on capitaisation rules in English. I know only that it’s much more trigger happy with them than my native Czech. There’s currently a few named items that are not properly capitalised as well, such as “The gauntlet of Boom”, so that should be fixed at least.

• Similarly spell and ability names are usually not fully capitalised, which I feel they should be. Also, when referred to in item text, they are usually (but not always) enclosed in quotes. I’d fully capitalise these (i.e. Bomb Rain) and get rid of the quotes, unless the text is referring to the card instead of the spell contained in it (so <Adds one bomb to the Bomb Rain spell> but <Chance to find the “Shift Mask” card>).

• The game consistently uses the world picklock as opposed to lockpick. I admit I’ve failed to find any source on this, but it was always my impression that the former is more commonly used in British English while lockpick is he American English version. If that is indeed the case, I’d suggest changing it, as the rest of the text is using American spellings (such as Armor instead of Armour) and while either is fine, you should be consistent. Then again, maybe “picklock” is normal in American English ¯\_(ツ)_¯. So I’d say keep it the way it is, unless someone else can confirm my theory.

• Armor Ring -> Ring of Armor

• Bronsnan Amulet: 10% chance to pierce monsters and hit the card behind them

• Start kit: Start with a powerful shield

• Ragnarök Ring: (…) The shopkeeper (note - maybe it should be Shopkeeper)

• Spell book: Upgrades the Charge spell.

• Aurora Mantle: (…) A Useful stuff for a (…)
    Alternatively: (…) A useful ability for a (…)

• Aurora Hat: Increases the chance to (…)

• Minerva Amulet: Gives a small chance to find the (…) inside barrels.

• Bunch of keys: (…) Take some keys!

• Thief’s Bag: (…) Chance to find a “Shift Mask” card

• Equality pendant: **The Equality spell no longer affects your hero. Epic!

• Thor Armorset -> Thor’s Armor
    (…) Does that sound boring? Yep!

• Zap amulet: (…) Let’s upgrade the “Chained lightning bolt” spell. (…)
    Alternatively: Upgrades the “Chained lightning bolt” spell so that it charges shields (…)

• The Gauntlet of Boom: Increases the chance to find a bomb inside barrels.

• Orb of Inhibition: (…) prevents fireballs from increasing in power in combat
    Alternatively: (…) prevents fireballs from gaining more power

• Eagles Amulet -> Amulet of Eagles: Reduces the price of “Wings”

• Guinevere Lance: (…) to *the pierce power. (…)
    Hit the monster behind your target with +1 power

• The Power of Nuribachi

• Salamander poison: Prolongs poison *duration by one turn.

Boosters

Antipoison -> Antidote: Poisoning declines twice as fast (…)

Achievements

• Four of the achievements are named, the rest only show the requirements. Just throwing this out here, but I feel like the names are somewhat out of place, though I believe it would be the best to come up with names for the rest of them as well (achivement names are always a good place for some creative worldplay!) and make the names distinct from the achievement text. It would probably require a bit of a redesign, unfortunately.

• (…) Cast lightning with the power of 40 or more (note - the exact same change of the article applies to many more achievements,but I’ll only list this one)

• (…) Defeat Nuribachi playing as Berserker

• (…) Epic fail. Miss with the “Polymorph” spell three times in one game

• (…) Find two rings in the dungeon in one game

Game text

• Double your reward
  • X turns until BOOM

All right. I’m spent for now, but I’ll do the same with the Czech version. I haven’t played with it yet, but I’ve glanced at it and immediately noticed some typos and mistranslations. And unlike English, I actually know what I’m talking about, as I was working as a proofreader as well as an editor for a short time =P

Cheers!

11 Likes

Getting the hang of this:

proud

I assume the class leaderboards are for 3x3?

3 Likes

Ohh, thanks Man!

yes, there are class tops for 3x3 only

4 Likes

Dear lord. That’s quite the write up.
Nice research

4 Likes

I’ll probably not get to the promised corrections of the Czech version just yet as I’ve been busy lately, but I noticed there’s this. Is that up to date? That should speed the process up significantly.

In the meantime, some more notes:

• When browsing the leaderboards there is a significant delay before the scores get shown which prevents you from changing the screen - which sucks when you want to find a specific leaderboard, as there’s quite a bit of them now. Unless there’s a better solution, I’d add a small pause (0,5 second?) before the leaderboard starts to load that would give the player a chance to tap the arrow again.

• Make it clear that the class leaderboards are for the 3x3 game more. I guess older players know that 3x3 is the core game mode, but for a newcommer it doesn’t look like something special.

• Is there any particular reason why newly bought items are not automatically equipped once bought? I can’t think of a reason why I’d buy something and not want to put it on immediately.

• I’ve seen the Assassin throw a dagger diagonally after a move preceded by the use of the Shift Mask, though I haven’t been able to reproduce it, so there might be more to it.

• On rare occasion moving away from a Pyromancer didn’t result in a dagger throw by the Assassin, but it usually does, so I’m not sure what was the exact cause here either.

• End of turn consistency. This will be longer: there are multiple things are expected to happen at the end of each turn/move/action, for example poison damage, health regeneration (and decay), trap state change, boss abilities, barrel decay, assassin dagger throw etc. The problem is that not all of these are triggered by the same actions. Breaking open a barrel, moving to a different tile, using an item, opening a chest each trigger different actions. There should be more consistency. I’ve been playing the game for a while now and I’m still often not sure what’s going to happen (or not) if I take an action. It creates a bit of fake difficulty - you could of course make a spreadsheet and note what actions trigger what actions, but it would be best if you could tell what’s going to happen at a glance.
    I expect that the rules are actually relatively logical on the inside, but as a player it just confuses me.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s actual text doc. I’ve found changes in Czech version, will add it in next update (waiting for “Bug fixes and improvements” section here: Defold roadmap H1-2019 - Q1 summary). Thanks!

About other improvements, I have no plans for doing gameplay/mechanics/UI updates in LyL 1, have plans for technical updates only. I supported LyL more than one year, it was fun, but I guess, a life cycle of this game is over. All my mind is focused on new prototypes. Btw, thank you for the your research!

1 Like

So do you think you need me checking the Czech version out? It really is no bother for me. In case you’re ready to make the changes and I still haven’t gotten to it, let me know. I’ll jump right at it.

About other improvements, I have no plans for doing gameplay/mechanics/UI updates in LyL 1, have plans for technical updates only.

I see you’re calling it LyL 1. I’m guessing that means any feedback might still be relevant for LyL 2?

2 Likes

It happened. I have a new phone.
And sadly Google Play cloud save is still not available :confused:

So, just to be clear.
There’s no way (other than Facebook) to get my save data to my new phone ?
The Android\data\com.dragosha.hamster\files - folder is empty.

@Dragosha
Is it please possible for the game to write our save file to that location ?
So to Android\data\com.dragosha.hamster\files

The game Meteorfall does this too. So we can easily transfer our save-file to a new device.
I found this solution here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Meteorfall/comments/8572x0/progress_transfer/

Hi @Dragosha, congratulations for your game! I’m also a regular player. Installed it on my phone since last year and I install it everywhere I want to see how Defold behave.

Yesterday Installed it on this “leelbox q2 pro android 6.0 TV box” and looks like running in low motion, the frame rate look smooth but all the animations are like half speed: See video

2 Likes

Though it’s of course not intended to play on such device, the problem might be the issue with monitor’s refresh rate

Can you test other projects on the device with profiler enabled? Should make a new thread maybe.

1 Like

I’ll do soon.

Does this “box” have a browser? Just for test purpose try to run http://dragosha.com/hamster/

also another prototypes:
http://dragosha.com/tales/
http://dragosha.com/slasher/

1 Like

Google Play ANR rate and a curve of installs:
2019-07-01_16-53-19

ANRs before last update: ~0.5%
Now: ~0.15%

7 Likes

About 2 years ago I started this topic. So, good time to check some results:

lyl-stats

14 Likes

Hey.
Did you remove the EXIT button ?
I can’t even exit with the back button. I need to force close.

Yes, I’ve removed it in previous release for ANR reducing resone, see this Look Your Loot aka Hamster post. In the last update I didn’t added exit button again. It should works correct now (1.2.158 Defold), but I don’t want to do experiments in production app when got an organic traffic from store.

3 Likes

Love the new enemy type, freaked me out when I first saw it. There’s a couple of issues with them, though.

• If you are standing next to a dormant one and your health is less than the attack of all surrounding enemies, the game goes dark, even though switching places with the dormant guy is safe.
  • Druid spell “Claw” doesn’t really affect them, as they keep regenerating, but they keep the debuff forever. If you go down to one health, the die from it though. I think they should be immune to this effect instead.
  • Switching places with one doesn’t count as a turn without health loss for druid’s regeneration, though that’s consistent with switching places with items when inventory is full.

There might be more, I think I forgot something.

Edit: I remember the last thing now:

• When switching places with one, the others change state. Say there are two dormant ones on board. If you swap places with one, the other one will end up dormant again after the swap.
2 Likes

Whaaaa !!
Thank you so much for the Google Cloud Save feature !!
:pray:t2::blush:

2 Likes

There are a lots of improvements within a new game update.

• long tap for a card descriptions
  • new hero - Archer
  • new game mode - puzzle
  • card’s collection
  • and elastic scroll panel for achievement based on “dirtylarry” scrolls, wanted to fix this about two years :muscle:

10 Likes