Longer build times when switching between Android and Debug?

I’m wondering, is there a way to avoid the full rebuild when switching from Android to Debug and vice-versa? If I modify one lua script and rebuild after building for a different platform the entire game must rebuild. I’d like to avoid this since my build times are lengthening over time (my game is getting fairly content-rich.)

No easy way right now. We need some kind of build texture cache system.

You could potentially use bob bundle to maintain multiple versions of the project folder to sync the project assets and keep the target build assets as they are for the specific target type but that would be lame. :slight_smile:

The problem isn’t that the textures aren’t cached, it’s that we have two build systems (editor and bob.jar) which handle things a bit differently. And on top of that, we don’t separate built content on a per platform basis.

1 Like

This should be easy to do when using bob at least.

1 Like

Are textures cached when building with BOB?

I have a hard time understanding how caching of textures work when it comes to building.
I build my Android app using BOB, and I want to reduce build times after I edit some code.

It seems that the textures are cached, but not exactly sure what invalidate them? Sometime the textures get rebuilt and it takes a lot of time.

Is there any documentation somewhere on how it works under the hood?

Are you mixing between building from bob and the editor and if so, are you using the same output folder for both? What is the command line you use for bob?

Using bob only.

java -jar ../bob.jar --archive -verbose --platform armv7-android --texture-compression false --liveupdate no --variant debug bundle

That command line doesn’t include “build” which triggers the build?

“build” builds the resources (incrementally).
“build --archive” also creates the game archives (necessary when bundling)

“bundle” assembles the built archives into a package for the platform you selected.

“clean” will clean the resources, i.e. triggering a full rebuild.
“distclean” will delete the ./build folder

When bundling from the editor, it calls bob with “distclean build --archive bundle” (among others). This will rebuild the textures.

2 Likes