Layers idea

The outliner would benefit from layers, which can toggle on or off, like photoshop. Would make the editor faster, easier to select objects, much neater experience, it would be just an organisational tool for the editor, and should not reflect the z layers

7 Likes

So this is a feature that allows you to temporarily hide stuff in a large scene while editing it? I like the idea, but maybe it’s enough that you can toggle visibility of a game object and all child objects? That way you don’t have to introduce a new concept in the Outline view.

2 Likes

I think what Britzl is describing was already put forward, wasn’t it? I think that would solve the problem

Yes, someone mentioned it at some point. I can’t remember who.

I second this. Opening my main collection in Editor 2 for the first time and used to the non-nested editor from Editor 1, I was a bit overwhelmed. I remember having the same issue in Unity, but having a checkbox to enable / disable objects in-game wasn’t exactly optimal, as I always had to remember to enable my objects back on after editing something.

2 Likes

@britzl The idea of the layer is so you can toggle them all on or off in one go, and organize game objects by category, ie, pickups, enemies, platforms etc.

2 Likes

Now we have Hide/Show Object in editor, what about Enable/Disable Layers?

2 Likes