King games made with Defold?

I would like to see the games created by king created with this game engine.-
I’m noticing that king hardly uses this game engine = /

The important games king uses another engine, what is that other engine?

If you are referring to Candy Crush-franchise it is built with another “older” inhouse game engine.

4 Likes

King has a private engine for some of their other (older) games.

Blossom Blast Saga (live and very popular for years) and Pet Rescue Puzzle Saga (shut down last month, might have not had the metrics required to make it sustainable) were made with Defold. They have many games in development and probably some are using Defold.

You can make any kind of 2D game you want with Defold. Using straight C++ is useful for some projects but using Defold enables you to focus on making the game more than making the engine.

And remember that Defold is independent now.

10 Likes

Woop! Welcome back @AJirenius! Long time no see!

2 Likes

As you know I’m no longer working at King so this is pure speculation, but looking at the release rate of new games from King it is now obvious that the focus is on fewer and more ambitious games. The Crash Bandicoot runner is the latest announced game (not released yet). I believe that game is made in Unity which would make it the first King game made using Unity. I can’t even remember which was the latest new global game release from King.

In general the focus for King and many others seem to be on their existing franchise games (Candy Crush etc) and making those games last for a very long time. They are becoming evergreen titles (Candy Crush is 8(!) years old) with a large and very loyal player base (at least as long as they are given new content).

This opens the field for new developers that are able to and willing to release games more frequently. Hyper Casual is at one end of this spectrum and Family Age (made with Defold) is at the other end with a long lifetime and a lot of content.

13 Likes