java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out

Im using Defold for about a 5 days.

One thing is really starting to bug me…

I am trying to run the tutorials or other peoples project especially I often get this message
“java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out”

I had a look in the forum and people mention updating Java… which I have done.
Also that the firewall can cause an issue… I tried it with the firewall off… anyway I dont think this can cause it because it works intermittently.

Some of the games demos I found it might work 1 in 5 times… fortunately on my own test game it works more often than not. I then have to kill the dmengine.exe and try again.

Is there some setting that I can alter to increase the timeout or ?

Thanks for any help.
Ash

This happen when you do Project-Build? And when you are building a local build running on the same PC or are you building directly to a connected phone?

Does it happen when you already have the game running in the background or did you shut down any already running version of your game?

This will not help. We package Defold with a version of Java and use that. There is no need to install Java. It might have helped in the past but not anymore.

Running local to the same PC… only one copy (to my knowledge) in memory.
I have been pressing F5 to build the app

And does it also happen if you close any previously running instance of your game before hitting F5?

It does occur if I do changes and then run it again… not so sure it happens if I just press F5 when it is working.

I just had the issue when trying to run the “Heli-Rescue” demo that was posted by a user. I could not get it to run for love nor money… then I turned off the full screen option and now it runs.

But I do not think the timeout is just related to that… I run two screens on my PC and have many apps open… chrome is running with the BBC news on one screen… It did seem to run better when I booted and didnt have much open … having said that I have quite a high spec PC. Hence I wondered if I could just alter the timeout value somewhere… the message comes up very quickly.

I wondered is this just something that occurs on windows and everyone else is using Macs or Linux perhaps ?

Maybe its affected by something running in the background Slack, Kapersky…

I dont generally run it direct on my phone as it tends to take a lot longer to get started.

Sorry to moan on about it… but Its wasting so much of my development time having to keep closing the locked game window and restart it every time I run a test.

Probably this issue: https://github.com/defold/defold/issues/5215

As soon as we have fixed the iOS and Android bundling issues and pushed a new beta we’ll look into this error.

1 Like