It's Defold for beginners game programmers

Hello! I’m new to video game programming, I’ve only played a bit with Lua and Love2d. I wanted to know if I could use your engine or it is very advanced for me

1 Like

Hi and welcome! Defold is a bit different that it does not provide a lot of ready-made things, but a solid set of simple core things. There are also some concepts that might be puzzling for a while, but otherwise I think a newbie would be fine. Lua is nice and pretty easily accessible and we try to make the editor visual and intuitive.

We also have a great community that is here on the forum, on Slack etc. Many nice people that are willing to share and help.

2 Likes

If you feel that Love2D was within grasp then it should be no problem whatsoever to understand Defold.

2 Likes

Welcome, bro!

You will love Defold!

2 Likes

agreed, I am a love2d user, and I can work with defold well in short time. although defold is somehow not as free as love2d, I still love it.

2 Likes

Could you give an example of this? Maybe there is something we can do to improve Defold to make it easier for users to transition from Love2D?

2 Likes

basically, love2d is a game frame which you have to program almost all the things and defold is a game engine pays more attention to design things and scripting.
I like love2d because it can draw geometries easily as “processing” which let me make some prototype very quickly. I hope the game objects can carry some canvas that allows me to draw geometry things dynamically or draw geometry directly in render script.
another feature of love2d is that, people love to use love2d because you can control almost everything, I prefer the editor can be a tool extern and providing apis for coding than making everything bind to the editor that we can not touch inside. sometimes l hope there will be an entry script rather than bind it to the camera.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing @alexar1! As for procedural drawing of geometric shapes I believe this is something that can be improved in Defold with a combination of Native Extensions and Sprite Buffers as explained by Mathias in this post.

1 Like

In short programming in Love2d is like programming SDL in very high level, does not bring management of cameras, or to do the animation of a sprite for example. But it has a great active community and a simplicity that encourages you to keep playing

Sorry for my bad english !

1 Like