Is there an autosave function?

Right before I went to bed I stop coding and was talking with wife before she went to work and Windows Defender decides right at that moment to shut Defold down. Meaning I lost about 30 minutes of work.

But was wondering if there was an autobackup feature- that makes a backup say every ten minutes- in case of power loss etc?

There is not, you can can vote on this issue.

It seems reasonably easy to add.

For the timer, see how the editor already has a timer for checking updates.
For the saving, see how Ctrl+S works, probably copy that.
Then in prefs add a checkbox to enable auto-save along with a numeric field for minutes between auto-save.

1 Like

Living in rural mid west of America- we get power outages all the time, internet outages, and even cell phone outages! They dont last long maybe a few seconds to minutes but just enough that you can lose all your work since last save.

Ill up vote on the issue.

1 Like

For the timer, see how the editor already has a timer for checking updates.
For the saving, see how Ctrl+S works, probably copy that.
Then in prefs add a checkbox to enable auto-save along with a numeric field for minutes between auto-save.

Is this for me? If so is there a references you could point me to in modifying the editor?

It’s for anyone who would like to try and add it. The documentation to start modifying the editor is here:

https://github.com/defold/defold/tree/dev/editor

I might try adding it once I’m a bit more familiar with working with the editor code (I’m working on getting used to it now).

It may have extra considerations required, such as detecting git activity, not sure. Git seems to play well with other apps that auto-save.

1 Like