Is the current alpha-rendering a convention in game development?

The rendering behavior when the alpha channel of the parent node does not affect the alpha of the child node, but affects the overall rendering result of this group of nodes, is well known. This is accepted in graphic editors, in web and mobile development.

I don’t see this rule true for objects and sprites, but it may be true for gui nodes. What do you think of it? Optional alpha-grouping?

My problem is fading the alpha of the complex nodes structure. For example, the gray bar here is the parent node and the pink bar is the child node.

IMAGE 2021-06-28 22:02:41

By animating the alpha of the parent node, I get an unpleasant overlay effect and a not uniform animation of the opacity of the entire group. Look at stars and gray parts of bars that appear and disappear asynchrony.

1 Like

Most render stuff is manually coded in defold. But i think it’s still a good idea to have a special gui node that would be rendered in texture first and than to screen buffer. (Userfull for intersection of sprites and spine animations)

1 Like

Isn’t this related to the blend mode used for the nodes? We have a couple of feature requests related to addition of new blend modes:

Nope, this is about when you want to fade out the game options window and the window fades out instead of all elements (switches, buttons, etc.) fade out separately and creates internal alpha collisions.