Is Defold for that project?

Hi!
I want write a game. I wish she was gameplay similar to factorio (http://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/) and 2d rts. Is defold help me creating that project? Is have support for mouse operations (drag & drop etc?). Is have support for creating path from point to point?
If not can someone recommend another engine better for me?
Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Defold is perfect for making 2D games. That’s where the engine shines! I believe that it would be totally possible to create a game such as Factorio using Defold, but Factorio seems to be far from a trivial game, meaning that regardless if you choose to use Defold, Unity, Love2D, Cocos 2D, Game Maker or some other engine it’s going to take a lot of work.

I suggest that you break down the game you want to make into tiny little pieces and build something very basic at first, just to get a feeling for the engine itself, and for the core concept of the game you wish to make. It is my experience that this is the best approach and it makes it easy for you as a developer to manage your own and others expectations.

To answer your specific questions:

Defold supports mouse, gamepad, keyboard, touch and gyro input. You will get frame by frame information from mouse or touch events, as well as input states (pressed, released, repeated etc). With this it is possible to create drag and drop. An example can be seen here: https://github.com/britzl/publicexamples/tree/examples/click_and_drag

I suppose you mean for player/enemy movement? Maybe using path finding? Defold doesn’t provide built in support for for path finding, but there are libraries available for this, for instance Jumper.

3 Likes

Thank you @britzl for very precise answer. I know to split for smaller “projects” and finally combine in to big one. Game have separate mechanic (long distance transport from i/o, short distance transport in factory, hiring employees as separate piece) allowing for that. I think streamlining efficiency is hardest thing to do.

Employees and enemies is latest thing to do. On start i think about creating route from point to point but now i think is easy, only create rectangle and get two sides including objects on the way.

2 Likes

Ok, sounds great then! Please let us know if you have any more questions and we’ll happily answer them!

2 Likes