iOS Project rather than an IPA?

Hi,

I just found out about Defold and it looks an ideal project for iOS game I am developing however looking at the documentation it looks as if the IPA is just created and signed from the Editor.

Is there any way you can create an Xcode project instead and just include the Defold runtime so we can do the build process?

Thanks,
Ian

If you need to build it in a command-line/CI fashion, you can use our tool bob for that. If you actually need to go through XCode, I have no idea if it’s possible. Maybe someone else in the team knows more? @ChristianM, @sven, @Mathias_Westerdahl, @jakob.pogulis?

What is it you want to accomplish in xcode?

The Defold runtime binaries come prebuilt, you cannot easily modify them (you shouldn’t try). They are not built in the bundling process, the IPA contents are simply put together (based on files in plugins\com.dynamo.cr.bob_version\com\dynamo\bob\bundle\resources\ios for meta data and \plugins\com.dynamo.cr.engine_version\engine\ios for runtime binary) and then signed. You could modify the contents of a IPA that is bundled (it’s just a zip) and then resign it yourself with something like iReSign. If you need to modify your Info.plist first bundle the IAP, rename it to .zip and double click to extract it. Then go into the project and grab the Info.plist to define in your Defold project. Keep in mind when Defold updates happen you may need to update your custom Info.plist file too.

@Ragnar_Svensson , @Pkeod

Thanks for the reply,

I would really like to have Flurry support even without custom events it would be nice to have own stats in games.

Out of interest what is the lowest iOS version do you support? I noticed Blossom Blast Saga is supporting 5.1.1

What kind of stats are you looking to collect? Defold has its own analytics features which can collect some basic usage stats.

There are various analytics services which support HTTP APIs which you could implement. Depending on what you want it could be easy to setup something. I have not tested it yet, but you could try using the PlayFab analytics features https://api.playfab.com/playstream/docs PlayFab API Implementation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmZp5ND4D8

It’s possible the upcoming extension system will allow us non-Defold devs to implement things like Flurry support natively.

The minimum iOS version is listed as 5.1.1 in the default Info.plist. It’s possible the actual minimum is higher as they might have not updated that as features which require more features were implemented, don’t know.

Cool I will check out PlayFab, cheers for the links

I just tested the PlayFab PlayStream custom events. You can write events for:

The title of your game as a whole.
The current logged in player.
A “character” owned by a player.

Events can have a title, and a body with custom contents.

Beyond that, as you use PlayFab it also tracks other events automatically, and has some support for other analytics services with passive data transfer to them.

Try the built in Defold analytics too. It’s still basic but is stated to be getting custom events in the future some time.

1 Like