Ios-deploy permission denied

1. I installed ios-deploy on a Macbook OSX Ventura 13.6.1 using “brew install ios-deploy”
  2. Ran “brew info ios-deploy” and updated the Preferences in Defold to point to that directory
  3. Created a bundle for the shadertoy sample and got the following error in the Defold console with “Install on connected device” and “Launch installed app” checked :

Cannot run program “/usr/local/Cellar/ios-deploy/1.12.2”: error=13, Permission denied

I’m not an iOS/OSX expert, so I decided to run ios-deploy manually to determine if there is a problem with my bundle. However, it deployed fine from the terminal when I ran:

./ios-deploy --debug --bundle sample.app --no-wifi

Is there something I need to do extra to allow Defold to run ios-deploy after brew installs it? Also, I need to mention that ios-deploy complained it couldn’t find ‘sample.app’ when I first tried to do it from the terminal, so I grabbed the ios-deploy binary, put it in the same folder as the bundle, ran “brew remove ios-deploy” to make sure I was using the local binary in the same folder and then the deployment worked. Not sure what I’m doing incorrectly? Yeah, I can create a script to do this in the future, but it would be nice to have it all just work in the Defold UI if that’s possible?

I don’t think this is necessary. By default, the editor checks if ios-deploy is installed in well-known locations, so you only need to specify the path if you use a custom installation of ios-deploy.

Thank you for the reply and I just tried reinstalling ios-deploy using brew and removing that setting in Preferences, but then got this message:

Resolving ios-deploy location…
Could not find ‘ios-deploy’ on this system, please install it and try again.
If it’s already installed, configure its path in the Preferences’ Tools pane.

Not sure if there’s something strange with my system (vanilla OS X install) since the “Resolving” message obviously shows Defold looked for ios-deploy in a well known location.

Either way, this is a permissions issue and not a Defold one AFAIK… unless some entitlement needs to be requested from OS X to use automation in Privacy & Security? Like I said, I’m not an expert with Macs and posted this in case others have seen it and can help out. I’ll go the scripting path to manually push apps to my devices. The bundle feature is nice in Defold and a big help btw.

Thank you for your reply. Turns out it was something on my end. I’m used to supplying just the path when asked for it, but in this case the path plus filename was necessary. I put the following in the Preferences dialog and it worked:

/usr/local/Cellar/ios-deploy/1.12.2./bin/ios-deploy

Btw, I don’t think the code resolves well-known locations before trying the Preferences location or at least not in my case. I removed it from Preferences, installed ios-deploy via brew and got this complaint:

Resolving ios-deploy location…
Could not find ‘ios-deploy’ on this system, please install it and try again.
If it’s already installed, configure its path in the Preferences’ Tools pane.

In any case, thanks again for the reply!

It should look for it in a few places:

1 Like