I'd like to add to the official Defold gamepads file

I’ve updated my local copy of the default.gamepads file to include the “linux” entry for my “8BitDo Pro 2” gamepad. (With the help of @Potota on Discord, thanks!)

Is there a specific process to add my newly added gamepad layout to the official Defold repository?

Assuming that you’re saying that you updated it to include the linux entry, for now you can just provide it in a github repository or a file download somewhere for now, the defold team will consider whether they’ll add it. Thanks for your contribution!

edit: you should probably wait for a team member to respond, but there will probably be a process with adding an issue onto github? I’m not sure though because this is to add a file and not a feature request. I’ll ping @britzl to let him see.

Correct. We prefer to receive a Pull Request to the main gamepad file in builtins:

If you’re not comfortable working with Git repositories and GitHub you can also share the config here and we’ll add it ourselves:

2 Likes

Happy to do a pull request! Happy to contribute to this ever growing list of gamepad mappings that must already cover 90% of cases, it’s amazing.

2 Likes

I’m familiar with git but I’ve never actually made a pull request and have been reading up on it.
I’m using git-gui to push a new branch called “Domarius-Gamepads-update” (my understanding is, after it’s pushed, I can create a new “pull request” for it via the web interface).

When I push to “origin”, I get a Username and then a Password popup. If I enter my git password in, I get an error which sent me to a page about entering in your access token for the password instead.

So I try again, I use my username Domarius, and when it asks for my password, I enter my access token, one that I made for accessing private repositories. Then I get this error

Pushing to https://github.com/defold/defold.git
remote: Permission to defold/defold.git denied to Domarius.
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/defold/defold.git/': The requested URL returned error: 403

My guess is I have to arrange for a special access token for your repository.

1 Like

Ah, yes so you need to make a ”fork” of the Defold repository, and you do your changes there (in a branch).

Then you can create a Pull Request from your repository (the fork) to ours.

2 Likes

Ok I made a pull request, please let me know if it’s done correctly. There were a lot of the checkboxes that weren’t relevant because I’m simply adding layouts to the gamepad file.

5 Likes