I don't understand how to use the particle effects

I have read the tutorial on particle effects but i am still confused but when i add it to a game object and play it with the particlefx.play it doesnt work

Can you share what you have built?

Your last video on the runner tutorial you added some particle effects on the coins I’ve been trying to do that but i dont know how

What part are you having problems with? Have you created the particlefx file with the effect you want?

yh but when i run the engine i cant get it to work

Do you get an error in the console when calling particlefx.play()? Also check the z-value of the particles.

no

Please share the project with me (bjorn.ritzl@king.com) so that I can take a look.

I added a particlefx example to the site. Have a look.

3 Likes

If you have done everything right, you can playback fine in the editor, but the particles still don’t show up, it’s almost certainly that they do not render, either because they are off screen or because the Z value of the game object or particlefx component is outside the -1 to 1 range.

@sicher: The HTML5 version on the examples page doesn’t show any particles for me.

They work fine here. Likely a cache thing. Whenever I update the examples it takes a while before the right engine is sent to the client. I’ll see if there’s a way to force that to happen.

You probably get some error in the javascript console, right?

“ERROR:GAMEOBJECT: Component ‘/loader#particles/particlefx’ could not be found when dispatching message ‘load’ sent from main:/loader#script”

Yes, it’s pulling a cached defold app archive where the example does not exist. I had the same problem a week ago.

thanks guys i really appreciate it you guys are like angels to me

2 Likes