I can't paste assets into my project

Just started the tutorial project, got the project opened and already used the atlas editor and the next step was to import the getting-started-assets.

I downloaded them, and I can open each image locally, so I know they exist. When I copy them in a file browser and try to paste them into my project, I get errors that the 'resource [whatever] not found on filesystem, which is weird because they definitely do exist.

I looked at the Properties tab, and the file exists on cr.defold.se:9998, no telling what that is, but that’s obviously why it can’t find my file.

So how do I get my files into my project, and is there a way to decouple the experience from defold.se and just operate locally?

Thanks in advance for help, I’m new to defold but I’m excited about all the cool stuff going on with the platform lately, so I want to get my hands dirty and make some things.

EDIT: In case it matters, I’m on 64bit linux, using whatever the Downloads page has for the old editor, not the Defold 2 preview.

What if you copy the files to the correct location via the terminal or a file browser? The location of your project files can be found by right clicking game.project and selecting “Show in Finder” or the equivalent option on Linux.

The correct location is not on my computer. It’s on cr.defold.se.

I realized that I chose “Open From Dashboard” when I tried Defold 2.

I was just coming back to this post just now to report that I solved this by re-opening in Defold 2 and choosing From Disk.

I still can’t it to work properly in the old editor…

I can probably figure out enough to just use the new editor anyways, Was able to add the images from the asset package and pushed it already and everything.

I’m confused. If you are stuck copying the getting started assets to the correct location then that correct location would be locally on disk, not on cr.defold.se (they might end up there eventually though).

When you chose “Open from Dashboard” in Editor 2 or when you chose to open a project in Editor 1 what will happen is that we will clone the project from our git hosting to a local repo on disk (in editor 1 these files will end up under [editor installation]/branches/[projectid]/[userid]/[branchname]/your_files). The tutorial expects you to copy the getting started assets to your local copy of the project.

Ok, so let me rewind a little bit.

From Old Editor:

• Open the editor
  • Open Project
  • Getting Started Tutorial
  • “learning” branch (the only branch I have)

Using the tree view, I can’t paste anything into those folders, and the properties pane lists the location as
location crepo://cr.defold.se:9998/projects/17844/27285/branches/learning?path=/main/images

the path for that repo is in my ~ directory, but the images are already there.

Old Defold opens my project from defold.se, and I have no clue how to put anything into that project.

So, for New Defold, I can load the project from disk, and things seem fine, it shows the assets, and I confirmed it’s loadig it from the disk but if I touch anything in the file tree view, the editor locks up and I have to restart my machine.

Old Defold opens my project from defold.se, and I have no clue how to put anything into that project.

The Editor 1 opens the project from the Defold server, but stores it locally on your disc. Select “Show in Explorer” (or Finder) on game project, and it’ll open a window into your local copy of the project.

Also, in Editor 1, you can drag and drop files into your project, directly into your project explorer (left side of the editor)

Here’s a little screencap of what I see when trying to drag and drop files into Defold 1.

2 Likes

Hmm, ok. That’s exactly what I do (it works on OSX/Windows at least).
At this point, we’re focusing all our efforts into Editor 2, so it’s unlikely that this will be fixed in editor 1 unfortunately.
I guess your workaround (for now) is to use the “Show in Explorer/finder” in the project explorer to open that folder.

As for the Editor 2 behavior, I suggest you report the issue on our github page: editor2-issues

So, in Defold 2, if I go in and click “Open” on an image, it crashes. Is “Open” meant to show the image in the editor, or open a program on host to show the image?

On my machine, double clicking the image opens the image in an external program

So on mine, it just locks up immediately if I click “Open”

Not sure if that’s Defold2’s fault or what. If I look in a file browser and double click, it knows to open up an image viewer, so I would like to believe it’s not my fault, but I’m not sure.

Should I file some sort of bug?

1 Like

Yes, please report all Editor 2 issues on our github page editor2-issues

1 Like

Reported here: https://github.com/defold/editor2-issues/issues/616