How to use Firestore

I would like to develop on Defold using Firestore, I know there is a Firebase extension but I don’t think this is supported by Firestore.
How can I access the Firestore collection on Defold?

Correct, we do have a Firebase extension with support for Firebase Analytics and Firebase Remote Config.

There is no extension for Firestore that I know of. Firestore has SDKs for many different languages, and there’s both a C++ SDK and a REST API. The C++ SDK would be suitable for a new Defold extension. If you don’t wish to mess around with a native extension the REST API is the most straightforward:

https://firebase.google.com/docs/firestore/use-rest-api

@britzl Thank you!

I would like to use some Firestore APIs and would like to use the C++ SDK extensions.
Is there any way to customize the Firebase extension itself to use in this case?
If Firebase Analytics and Firebase Remote Config are implementations that depend on the Firebase extension, is it possible to develop them as a reference?

or is the only way to do it is to create a new extension for Firestore?

I wouldn’t customize another extension for this.
But, you can certainly looke at it for guidance.

I’m curious though: If there is a REST API, then why use the C++ sdk?
It’s going to increase the size of the executable, and we already have HTTP(s) support in the engine.

I am looking into the possibility of implementing a chat-like feature on Defold.
I believe Firestore’s feature of streaming is not included in the Rest API.
If it were included, there would be no problem at all, but since it probably isn’t, I’m thinking I need to create an extension or call the RPC API in some way.

The RPC API had C++ support (Supported languages | gRPC) which means you’re back to building an extension. If you are familiar with C++ it is not an impossible task by any means.

@britzl
Thank you. Yes, I will implement the RPC API as needed.