How to test all localized text?

Hi there!

I have all the text of my game localized in 8 languages. I want to be sure that the all strings in all languages gracefully sit in their space. Going through the whole game eight times is NOT a practical solution. So I need some kind of automated test.

Different strings, appearing in different places and screens in the game, have different label metric settings (leading, tracking, scale…). And this properties cannot be changed via script.

I am just curious if someone has already faced a similar problem.

Thanks!

Usually with our games we give translators a special build with everything unlocked (story segements are all viewable in a theater screen) which can load external string files so that while they translate they can test how it looks in game.

1 Like

Would you be able to create a script file that can step through the different screens of your game automatically? You could then take screenshots using the screenshot extension and save these as PNG files.

Another option is to use the Poco extension to script all of the navigation (clicks etc) required to navigate through all screens in your game and take screenshots.

4 Likes

@Pkeod @britzl thank you for the advices.

I just sent an xls file to the publisher and he managed the translations. Moreover the text in the game are wildly scattered and screen transitions and scenes maybe quite long.

I decided to centralize any collection using text and to implement a special debug screen for text rendering test. For each localized text this screen creates the proper collection using it and shows it. The tester uses arrow keys to navigate among localized strings and languages.

For the moment this seems quite easy to implement. Thanks to lua and Defold of course!

Ciao, Rocco.

2 Likes