How to make a collision object fall faster?

I attached a collision object to a game object, but it falls REALLY slowly. I tried changing the mass, the world’s gravity, etc., but nothing works.

1 Like

“Gravity Y” in the project.settings under “Physics” should do the trick. Do you have any script on your object that might interfere? Do you have any linear damping set on your collision object?

@ross.grams I already tried changing the Gravity Y to something extreme like -1000.0, but it had no effect… And no, I don’t have any scripts running that would interfere with gravity. :frowning:

Hmm, that’s strange. If I add a game object, add a collision object component, add a shape to that, and run the game, it all works fine, falling faster if I change the gravity_y.

Is this a new project? Can you zip it up and post it here so I can test it?

Strange…
I’ve read the thread and tried it. Using the editor 2.

Added a GO to the main. added a sprite. added a collision. added a box shape to the collision.
mass = 1 (standart) and gravity -10 (standard). moves slow down.
after changing the gravity to -100 it falls nicely faster.

no script attached or anything else.

Maybe it sounds stupid, but… did you SAVE the changes before running?

Ok, I tried creating a new project and doing the bare minimum, but it doesn’t change how fast it falls… Here’s my project folder. Platformer.zip (52.6 KB)

No wait, I got it to work. I just had to wait a minute, then build it. Yay! I don’t know why I needed to make a new project to get it to work, though. Oh well! :smiley:

nice!

Sometimes its needed to use “REBUILD” the project. Dont know why.

It is worth to mention, what you see in your project is how object with 160 x 160 meters dimensions falls from 340 meters height. You observe this from a some great distance.
This is not what box2d disigned for.

1 Like

In game.project, you can set Physics > Scale, which will rescale the values for the physics engine. E.g. with the default scale of 0.02, Box2d will see 160 as 3.2 m. As the default rendering has an orthographic projection, the distance from where you view this does not really matter. (And by default the z-value of the view is 0, i.e. no distance at all.)
Regarding the other issue of the gravity not having effect, a common mistake in Editor1 is to forget to hit “Enter” in the text fields which commits the value.

3 Likes