How to get fonts to render properly on high DPI (retina) screens? (SOLVED)

I’m evaluating Defold for a game that will use a lot of text. I can display a TrueType font just fine, but it is not as well-rendered as the same font on a Retina Macintosh. (I have High Dpi set in game.project.)

A workaround seems to be to create my font asset at twice the desired size, and then scale my GUI text to 0.5. But this feels klunky.

Is there a way to get a font to automatically display at Retina resolution?

1 Like

Hi David,

there are two different font variants available in Defold, “bitmap” and “distance field” fonts. Distance field fonts is what you are looking for, since they can be generated/built at a fairly small size (saving memory/disk space) but rendered with high quality at runtime. :+1:

Take a look at this manual: https://defold.com/manuals/font/?q=distance%20font#distance-field-fonts

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick answer!

Distance Field looks terrible.Defold%20font

Bitmap looks adequate, but not as high resolution as actual TrueType (top of the image).TrueType%20vs%20Defold

0 Likes

You need to make sure you are using the corresponding material for the font. There are specific materials named *df* that should be used, if I’m not mistaken.

5 Likes

Aha, it looked like it was set that way… I changed it and changed back and now the output looks great. Thanks!

1 Like