How often is Defold used for non-game applications? (SOLVED)

For example, creating a Paint or Calculator application on mobile. Are there any notable downsides to using Defold’s game engine technology rather than a more conventional approach?

1 Like

I wish to know opinions about this too. The only particular issue I’ve found by using a game engine to make business apps is that you are running a rendering update at 60FPS or 30FPS all the time. Is this acceptable?

Those who have work with Xcode or Android tools know if “normal” apps use a more passive approach based on events that repaint the screen when is needed instead of using a fixed frame-rate?

Btw @WhiteBoxDev there is a native extension for drawing pixels: Draw Pixels (Native Extension)

1 Like

Right, that’s generally what I’m getting at. I’d also like to know if using Defold would be a significant detriment to battery life compared to Android or Xcode projects. Defold is just so simple to work with and has some great GUI assets available for making less game-related applications.

I don’t know of many examples of Defold used for app creation, but I guess it would be possible.

There’s a couple of interesting things I’d like to see someone experiment with.

• A native extension with full support for Dear ImGui. It would make it a lot easier to create very advanced UI. @sven did some experiments but never completed them.
  • A native extension with which you could create true native Android and iOS components and interact with them from Lua scripts.
3 Likes

The project @Pawel presented to the Jam is an app, right? Maybe he has some thoughts about this.
I don’t see any shortcomings on using Defold for app development as it is a pretty optimized engine so I don’t think it presents an issue to battery life.
So, if Godot users use the engine for making apps, why not doing the same with Defold; I don’t think Godot should be specially kind with battery btw.

2 Likes

Can confirm that it’s suitable for making apps. I made an incomplete save editor for sm64ex, and it works quite well.

1 Like

Yes, Defilm could be definitely perceived as an app (not completed though) and its development was cool because I love Defold GUI system - detecting input and handling it is very easy, managing UI layout is superb and everything is modifiable to suit my needs. I used Gooey as helper (and modified it for my needs with ease), but there is also an awesome Druid library, I’m testing recently :wink:

Earlier I made an app that was simply a To-Do list + Pomodoro Timer + Habit tracker (never released it, because there are thousands of similar and many better apps, but it was a frutiful and useful lesson :stuck_out_tongue: ) and it was really cool, again, because of Defold GUI + easy integration with Playfab and saved files, regardless of OS. Yes, I used Playfab, but I’m not recommending it for apps, there are better solutions for sure and maybe recent collaboration with Heroic Labs will allow to use for this purpose Nakama :wink:

So, yeah, making an app is definitely possible with Defold, especially because of its truly cross-platform development, ease of testing on mobiles and on desktops as well. :smiley:

Hmm, I guess this is obviously to consider, though in many apps constant frame rate could be even useful :wink: It depends on what you want to achieve in the end

4 Likes

I think to control the frame rate, you can play with sys.set_update_frequency() and sys.set_vsync_swap_interval() and measure the performance accordingly.

3 Likes