How are hitboxes usually done?

I made a different thread about fighting game state machines, and although I am not at this point in the game I am making, I would like to gather info on good practices for making hitboxes.

So how do you do hitboxes?

Basically, I want to try to make a fighting game that is like Super Smash Bros. Melee. In that game, the hitboxes are circles that are arranged in various positions, extended pretty well beyond the characters model in most cases, and move with the animation. The hurtboxes tend to be more tightly packed with the model of the character.

I am planning on using Spine models for my characters. It would be nice to be able to make parallel Spine animations with the hitbox data and somehow pass it to the game logic. Is something like this possible?

This is a good choice and I believe it would be possible to use spine.get_go() to get the game object associated with the bone(s) for hands, feet, weapons and on those game objects attach and enable/disable game objects containing collision objects to detect collisions with the opponents’ hitboxes. The opponent hitboxes could also be attached to bones (chest, head etc) in the spine model

1 Like

Thanks for the help! That should give me a direction.

I will look into it when I get to that point in my development and post back here if I have anymore questions.

1 Like