GUI texture quality when scaled

Is it possible to make game higher resolution then target device and then downscale it depending on the device but keeping high texture quality?

I’ve read few posts on the forum about this, but I’m still getting poor results in my experiments. Here’re examples:

Originally, textures are for the resolution 1125x2436, but the game is launched from the Editor on Windows with width and height set to 375x812. Gui scene.

This is the result I get when texture min and mag filters set to “linear”

This is they set to “nearest”

This is what I want to get

High dpi checkbox is set. Is it possible to get better results in this approach?

I’ve also changed sampling for gui material and set min filter to linear there. Things got better, but still there’re artifacts:

Did you try to disabling Mipmaps from texture profiles? Also never use “nearest”, if it is not the pixel art.

Edit: Better explained here: What does high_dpi do, exactly?
and here:
How High Dpi and Retina screens work (SOLVED)

I’ve tried to disable Mipmaps and it didn’t help. The high dpi setting doesn’t change anything either. The result is the same as in the last picture.

1 Like

Here’s the test project.

test.zip (362.1 KB)

It looks good on my MacBook Pro retina display:

If you build and run (instead of bundle) you also need to make sure to check the Enable Texturecompression checkbox in the Preferences window:

I noticed that the background image is positioned at 562.5. I wonder if that half pixel could potentially become a problem?

1 Like

It looks good on retina, but bad on regular display.

Also I’ve tried to enable texture compression and set background image position to 563. The result is the same.