GUI templates async load

I want to be able to specify GUI templates to be async loaded/unloaded within a GUI scene. That way all of the textures etc. associated with it can be lazy loaded in. Nested async loading would be great too - so templates can depend on various versions of assets and be able to selectively load the versions they currently need.

4 Likes

Still something that would be incredibly useful and would simplify a bunch of situations. I want to include background and character art in a single GUI but have the option for them to not loaded at start and then be able to load/unload them async as they are needed.

2 Likes

I’m building a game using just one GUI. Being able to load and unload assets would make this game, you know, possible! :slight_smile:

What would the solution be using the current limitations? Have multiple GUIs in a collection and load/unload them instead?

1 Like

Templates doesn’t really exist at runtime so it’s not possible to load/unload them. Splitting into multiple GUIs is something you could try though.

1 Like

The problem we face is in big projects there are a lot of assets you want to have easily accessible in a GUI scene but you do not want to always have to keep them in memory. There just needs to be some kind of thing which eases the burden of larger project use. We’re talking for example hundreds of spine scenes, thousands of objects. Something in GUI which would let us stream in / out resources used in GUI would be helpful whatever it could be. It can’t be just use more GUI scenes in bigger use cases. At least with raw collections and GOs loading/unloading with async is not so bad, but adding GUI to it makes it harder.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. Something like what you propose can be built but it is not something we have planned to do soon.

1 Like