Gui.set_enabled doesn't prevent gui.pick_node in Input

When I disable the gui node with gui.set_enabled false, it is still available for pick_node in Input.
Is this the excepted behavior?

In my case it is a box node as button. Node is not rendered but it is clickable:

function init(self)
	gui.set_enabled(my_button, false)
end

function on_input(self, action_id, action)
	if action_id == hash("touch") and action.pressed then 
		if gui.pick_node(my_button, action.x, action.y) then 
			print("click")
		end
	end
end

2 Likes

You can check if the node is enabled using gui.is_enabled(node)

if gui.pick_node(my_button, action.x, action.y) and gui.is_enabled(my_button) then 
	print("click")
end

It is a little confusing, as you would think disabling a node would disallow pick_node on it. I thought so too initially.

4 Likes

It’s by design, but I can agree that it might be confusing before you know that is how it works. For nested view hierarchies it’s worth pointing out that you may wish to check if a parent is disabled as well:

6 Likes

Thank you @britzl @decoded

2 Likes

I ran into the same frustrating problem causing bugs with disabled GUI’s because I assumed disabling them would mean they are not pickable because they’re disabled. Easily solved by adding “gui.is_enabled(node)” now that I found this thread. Might be worth adding to the documentation under either is_enabled or set_enabled to make it clearer disabled nodes are still pickable.

gui.is_enabled

Returns true if a node is enabled and false if it’s not. Disabled nodes are not rendered and animations acting on them are not evaluated.

gui.pick_node - determines if the node is pickable by the supplied coordinates

Disabled nodes are not rendered, ignore animations but are still pickable?