Grouping script properties

I would like a third optional parameter to go.property that allows properties to be grouped in the editor. Some of my more complex scripts (such as enemy.script) have a LOT of properties and it would really make the task of setting these easier if I could group them (“Basic”, “Attack”, “Movement” etc).

I would also like to be able to say that a property should not be visible in the editor. Since the best way of delaying stuff is a go.animate(…) on a dummy timer property, I have a lot of those as well which clutters the editor. This feature would be more of a nice to have though if the grouping would be implemented, since I could just group all of these properties in a group like “Ignore” or something like that.

3 Likes

Visual grouping is a nice feature. We have requests for a real timer functionality that would remove the need for dummy animations. Do you see other uses for hiding properties?

1 Like

No, real animations would remove that need

1 Like

Grouping script properties would be really cool, especially of you could collapse/expand the categories in the editor.

Also, I would still see a great use for hidden properties even if there were real animations, since a lot of the time I use properties to be able to get and set them from lua, often setting them when creating an object from a factory (like the object’s owner or such). Most of those properties I never want to edit on the object and they only clutter the list.

Yes that is true. I also have a lot of properties called owner, parent, etc that I would like to hide.