Grid movement

Hello all,

How would I limit a player’s movement to only be able to jump between squares on a grid. If you have played or seen crypt of the necromancer then that’s what I’m going for.

Hi! What have you tried this far? What do you know this far? Do you know how to make a character move from player input? Do you know about tiles? With those two, you should be able to get quite far, so check those out of you haven’t already.

Some thoughts:

• Instead of allowing free movement in a per pixel or fractional pixel space you need to think of a grid and limit when the player is allowed to move
  • Decide on a grid size, very likely the same as your tiles. Let’s store this in variable GRID_SIZE
  • Keep track of player position in grid. You could base this on the player game object position but I’d suggest keeping track in a separate x and y variable. Use a vector3. self.grid_pos = vmath.vector3()
  • Enable and accept input when player is in idle state.
  • On input:
    • Check if player is allowed to move in direction.
    • Update grid x and y position immediately.
    • Disable input.
    • Use go.animate to move to new position. go.animate(".", "position", go.PLAYBACK_ONCE_FORWARD, self.grid_pos * GRID_SIZE, go.EASING_LINEAR, 1, 0, cb)
    • Use go.animate finished callback to enable input.

Hello and thanks for your reply!

Sorry for not replying at an earlier date. I have not been able to use Defold as much recently, and as a result I have put the project on hold for the time being. I have also decided to get a better grasp of lua and Defold overall. I will return to this post at some point.

Thanks,

Alola

Hello,

Thanks for your input once again and sorry for not replying at an earlier date. I am taking a step back and really getting to learn the very basics of Defold and lua to help me better myself overall. I will return to this post at a later date.

Thanks,

Alola