Google requires a privacy policy

Hi,
GooglePlay recently required a privacy policy for my Defold game. Apparently the game requires:

• android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE
  • android.permission.GET_ACCOUNTS.
  • Apps using these permissions in an APK are required to have a privacy policy set.

I’m not sure if this is something I can remove or if it comes with Defold’s analytics and if it’s the latter, I’m not sure if I should refer to Defold’s privacy policy or one for my game.

Does anyone have any insights on this topic?
Thanks!

1 Like

It is referring to your game. As soon as you are making certain permissions available you will have to specify in your privacy policy exactly what your intentions are, gathering that data. If you have no intentions to use the data/use the permissions, you should just remove them in the manifest file, which will disable the permissions.
If you will use it you should write the privacy policy as a browsable link and add the link in your developer console (under Store Listing)

2 Likes

I believe the GET_ACCOUNTS and READ_PHONE_STATE permissions are needed to receive push notifications. You can try and remove them, but make sure that in-app purchases are still working!

1 Like

Big thanks to both of you!
I’ll try and remove these push notifications and see if it fixes the issue.
Cheers!

2 Likes

@Gozock - did you manage to find a solution for this? I’ve come up against the same issue.

Not sure if it helps. But i visited https://freeprivacypolicy.com and generated policy in 20 minutes and uploaded it to my site. and then just provided link to it.

5 Likes

Both “get accounts” and “read phone state” are sensitive permissions that trigger the requirement of a Privacy Policy.

Other sensitive permissions include record audio, read contacts, camera.

Your options are:

• Either update the manifest group file to remove asking the get accounts and read phone state permissions
  • Or update your app listing page to include a link to the Privacy Policy.

To include the link on your listing page, simply go to the “Store Listing” tab:

1. Log into your Google Play Developer Console > select “All Applications”
  2. Select your app > Click “Store Listing”
  3. Enter the public URL of your Privacy Policy at the “Privacy Policy” field:

Note that you need to host the Privacy Policy. Google won’t host it for you.

If you don’t have a website to host the policy, you can use other tools – such as Medium to setup a blog, GitHub Pages, Pastebin, Google Sites, and so on – as long as the policy is public, accessible and under your control (i.e. if you need to update it in the future).

You can look into TermsFeed, but full disclosure: this is our tool to create and host a Privacy Policy for Google Play Store games.

1 Like

Hi.

I found other FREE “Privacy Policy” generator here http://legalwizard.net/pp/ and upload result to unlisted Medium page accessible by link. Maybe this help someone.

1 Like